Remote Execution of GUI application - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Remote Execution of GUI application - Windows NT ; Hi! I have a rather odd problem. I am migrating couple of GUI application to run on a batch scheduler. As is, the application rarely needs user intervention. However, occasionally, it needs user intervention upon errors. As is, we have ...

  1. Remote Execution of GUI application

    Hi!

    I have a rather odd problem.

    I am migrating couple of GUI application to run on a batch scheduler.

    As is, the application rarely needs user intervention. However,
    occasionally, it needs user intervention upon errors.

    As is, we have no time to rewrite the application to eliminate all the
    possibility of message box popups.

    Using rexec, telnet, etc.. will spawn the application on the batch
    server, but will not display the GUI on the screen.. If the process
    hangs we will need someone to press 'OK' button displayed on the
    screen occasionally.

    Does anyone have any idea how this can be done?

  2. Re: Remote Execution of GUI application

    Rather than re-writing the application, can you just replace the prompt
    routine with something than returns the equivalent of an OK?

    Bryan

    Harry Park wrote:
    > Hi!

    > I have a rather odd problem.

    > I am migrating couple of GUI application to run on a batch scheduler.

    > As is, the application rarely needs user intervention. However,
    > occasionally, it needs user intervention upon errors.

    > As is, we have no time to rewrite the application to eliminate all the
    > possibility of message box popups.

    > Using rexec, telnet, etc.. will spawn the application on the batch
    > server, but will not display the GUI on the screen.. If the process
    > hangs we will need someone to press 'OK' button displayed on the
    > screen occasionally.

    > Does anyone have any idea how this can be done?

  3. Re: Remote Execution of GUI application

    Seems like an ideal application for WinVNC. WinVNC
    is free.

    "Harry Park" wrote in message
    news:1a5d3da.0307150624.a06f2c7@posting.google.com ...
    > Hi!
    >
    > I have a rather odd problem.
    >
    > I am migrating couple of GUI application to run on a batch scheduler.
    >
    > As is, the application rarely needs user intervention. However,
    > occasionally, it needs user intervention upon errors.
    >
    > As is, we have no time to rewrite the application to eliminate all the
    > possibility of message box popups.
    >
    > Using rexec, telnet, etc.. will spawn the application on the batch
    > server, but will not display the GUI on the screen.. If the process
    > hangs we will need someone to press 'OK' button displayed on the
    > screen occasionally.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea how this can be done?

  4. Re: Remote Execution of GUI application

    > As is, we have no time to rewrite the application to eliminate all the
    > possibility of message box popups.
    >
    > Using rexec, telnet, etc.. will spawn the application on the batch
    > server, but will not display the GUI on the screen.. If the process
    > hangs we will need someone to press 'OK' button displayed on the
    > screen occasionally.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea how this can be done?

    I don't think I posed question correctly. I am not trying to automate
    pressing of 'OK' button, or something like that.. What I AM trying to
    do is to display GUI on the screen of the Server that the application
    is running on.

    Let's say we have a server named 'SrV1'
    I am going to issue an remote execute command from 'Srv2' to kick off
    a GUI application from 'Srv1'

    When I use rexec, telnet, Rcmd, etc.. the process will kick off on
    'Srv1' but GUI does not get displyed on 'Srv1''s screen. when the
    process hangs due to the message box, there is no way for us to press
    'OK' button since the dialog box asking for the user input is not
    displayed on the screen unfortunately.

    We are willing to deal with dialog box occasionally as long as we can
    see it on the screen..

    I was wondering whether there is any remote execution method which
    will enable GUI application to display the GUI part on the screen of
    the computer that it is being executed on. (Ideally, it would be
    better to display the GUI on 'Srv2' where the remote execute request
    was sent from ala X-Windows, but I can only hope..)

    Thanks.

  5. Re: Remote Execution of GUI application

    Hello Harry,

    try
    psexec -i

    see:
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/psexec.shtml

    "Run the program so that it interacts with the desktop on the remote system."

    Regards
    Armin

    hpark2_1999@yahoo.com (Harry Park) wrote in message news:<1a5d3da.0307150624.a06f2c7@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi!
    >
    > I have a rather odd problem.
    >
    > I am migrating couple of GUI application to run on a batch scheduler.
    >
    > As is, the application rarely needs user intervention. However,
    > occasionally, it needs user intervention upon errors.
    >
    > As is, we have no time to rewrite the application to eliminate all the
    > possibility of message box popups.
    >
    > Using rexec, telnet, etc.. will spawn the application on the batch
    > server, but will not display the GUI on the screen.. If the process
    > hangs we will need someone to press 'OK' button displayed on the
    > screen occasionally.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea how this can be done?

  6. Re: Remote Execution of GUI application

    I just tried this and I can popup interactive gui programs just fine.
    Commandline tools still send their output back to the computer that
    issued the psexec.

    You could always schedule the program with the AT command using the
    /interactive switch .

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 08:43:30 +1000, "Pegasus \(MVP\)"
    wrote:

    >psexec -i will NOT present you with a graphical user interface.
    >

    >"Armin Freiberg" wrote in message
    >news:efc413e3.0307160816.cb8a57e@posting.google.co m...
    >> Hello Harry,
    >>
    >> try
    >> psexec -i
    >>
    >> see:
    >> http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/psexec.shtml
    >>
    >> "Run the program so that it interacts with the desktop on the remote

    >system."
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Armin
    >>

    >> hpark2_1999@yahoo.com (Harry Park) wrote in message

    >> > Hi!
    >> >
    >> > I have a rather odd problem.
    >> >
    >> > I am migrating couple of GUI application to run on a batch scheduler.
    >> >
    >> > As is, the application rarely needs user intervention. However,
    >> > occasionally, it needs user intervention upon errors.
    >> >
    >> > As is, we have no time to rewrite the application to eliminate all the
    >> > possibility of message box popups.
    >> >
    >> > Using rexec, telnet, etc.. will spawn the application on the batch
    >> > server, but will not display the GUI on the screen.. If the process
    >> > hangs we will need someone to press 'OK' button displayed on the
    >> > screen occasionally.
    >> >
    >> > Does anyone have any idea how this can be done?

+ Reply to Thread