My recommendation (which I've followed for my home PC) is as follows:

1) 8Gb C: partition, where OS and most "work" programs go.
2) Remainder of drive (72GB) as D: partition (D as in "Data"). Put
all of your data there (including your MyDocuments folder). It just
occurred to me (as I'm writing this!) that I would ideally put
"Documents and Settings" there, but am not 100% sure how to do this.
3) Remaining hard drive (80GB) make partition, assign it drive letter
G: (as in "Games"). When installing any/all games, put them on G:
instead of on C:\Program Files. Games tend to be really big ...

Format everything as NTFS. Once I moved to Win2K, I found little that
didn't run (there are some DOS-only games that defy this, but if you
really want them, you can create a small FAT partition and put them
there, along with DOS and/or Win9x).

Bob Schor