Changing Windows system/user accounts - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Changing Windows system/user accounts - Windows NT ; Is there a way within Windows XP or a prog I can use to change the Documents and Settings user account that the system was originally installed with? I have tried going into the Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Mangement>Local Users and ...

  1. Changing Windows system/user accounts

    Is there a way within Windows XP or a prog I can use to change the Documents
    and Settings user account that the system was originally installed with? I
    have tried going into the Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer
    Mangement>Local Users and Groups>Users and changed the original name to the
    new name, and then used System Mechanic to Customize Windows Settings>System
    and adjusted all the Windows Paths to be the new name instead of the
    original.

    So far so good.

    But when I open up the C:\Documents and Settings folder all the original
    administrative Application Data, Cookies, Desktop, etc, etc, Start Menu,
    etc, etc are still in a folder under the original name and even after the
    account has been renamed and the paths for the account have been changed as
    detailed above trying to just rename the folder fails giving the error "xxx
    is a Windows system folder and is required for Windows to run properly. It
    cannot be moved or renamed."

    Any help, thanks.

  2. Re: Changing Windows system/user accounts

    "Jack" wrote:

    >But when I open up the C:\Documents and Settings folder all the original
    >administrative Application Data, Cookies, Desktop, etc, etc, Start Menu,
    >etc, etc are still in a folder under the original name

    This is by default. Create a new user so that the proper folder name
    is created. Then log on as the Administrator and go to the Control
    Panel > System > Advanced > User profiles > Settings and copy over the
    old account to the new one.

    --
    (tm)

  3. Re: Changing Windows system/user accounts

    Jack wrote:
    > Is there a way within Windows XP or a prog I can use to change the Documents
    > and Settings user account that the system was originally installed with? I
    > have tried going into the Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer
    > Mangement>Local Users and Groups>Users and changed the original name to the
    > new name, and then used System Mechanic to Customize Windows Settings>System
    > and adjusted all the Windows Paths to be the new name instead of the
    > original.
    >
    > So far so good.
    >
    > But when I open up the C:\Documents and Settings folder all the original
    > administrative Application Data, Cookies, Desktop, etc, etc, Start Menu,
    > etc, etc are still in a folder under the original name and even after the
    > account has been renamed and the paths for the account have been changed as
    > detailed above trying to just rename the folder fails giving the error "xxx
    > is a Windows system folder and is required for Windows to run properly. It
    > cannot be moved or renamed."
    >
    > Any help, thanks.

    Those settings are stored in the registry keys. Run>regedit.

  4. Re: Changing Windows system/user accounts

    closedanger wrote:
    > Jack wrote:
    >> Is there a way within Windows XP or a prog I can use to change the
    >> Documents and Settings user account that the system was originally
    >> installed with? I have tried going into the Control
    >> Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Mangement>Local Users and
    >> Groups>Users and changed the original name to the new name, and then
    >> used System Mechanic to Customize Windows Settings>System and
    >> adjusted all the Windows Paths to be the new name instead of the
    >> original.
    >>
    >> So far so good.
    >>
    >> But when I open up the C:\Documents and Settings folder all the
    >> original administrative Application Data, Cookies, Desktop, etc,
    >> etc, Start Menu, etc, etc are still in a folder under the original
    >> name and even after the account has been renamed and the paths for
    >> the account have been changed as detailed above trying to just
    >> rename the folder fails giving the error "xxx is a Windows system
    >> folder and is required for Windows to run properly. It cannot be
    >> moved or renamed."
    >>
    >> Any help, thanks.
    >>

    > Those settings are stored in the registry keys. Run>regedit.

    lol -

    --
    Kadaitcha Man: Usenet Anarchist - http://kadaitcha.kicks-ass.org:83/
    Anarchy is having to put up with things that piss you off.

    Kadaitcha Man: Moderator, 24hoursupport.helpdesk

  5. Re: Changing Windows system/user accounts

    In article , Jack
    writes
    >Is there a way within Windows XP or a prog I can use to change the Documents
    >and Settings user account that the system was originally installed with? I
    >have tried going into the Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer
    >Mangement>Local Users and Groups>Users and changed the original name to the
    >new name, and then used System Mechanic to Customize Windows Settings>System
    >and adjusted all the Windows Paths to be the new name instead of the
    >original.
    >
    >So far so good.
    >
    >But when I open up the C:\Documents and Settings folder all the original
    >administrative Application Data, Cookies, Desktop, etc, etc, Start Menu,
    >etc, etc are still in a folder under the original name and even after the
    >account has been renamed and the paths for the account have been changed as
    >detailed above trying to just rename the folder fails giving the error "xxx
    >is a Windows system folder and is required for Windows to run properly. It
    >cannot be moved or renamed."
    >
    >Any help, thanks.

    Example using "fred" as your new name and "any user" as your old name:

    Make a restore point

    In Control Panel - User Accounts - Make a new named user "fred" as an
    Administrator

    Log out and into "fred" which creates user files

    Reboot in safe mode as "Administrator"

    In - Tools - Folder Options - View - Turn on hidden files and system
    files

    Delete all files in C:\Docs & Settings "fred"

    Copy all ANY USER files in Docs and settings

    Paste into C:\Docs & Settings "fred"

    Turn off hidden files and system files

    Reboot as "fred" and In Control Panel - User Accounts - delete "Any
    User"

    Hope this helps
    M Hilton

+ Reply to Thread