Help: Inaccessible_Boot_Device - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Help: Inaccessible_Boot_Device - Windows NT ; just upgraded my m/d and processor. Now I can't boot to windows and receive the following stop error just at the beginning of windows 2K Pro loading: STP:0X0000007B....... Inaccessible_Boot_Device etc... can I recover from this without having to reload Windows ...

  1. Help: Inaccessible_Boot_Device

    just upgraded my m/d and processor. Now I can't boot to windows and receive
    the following stop error just at the beginning of windows 2K Pro loading:

    STP:0X0000007B....... Inaccessible_Boot_Device etc...

    can I recover from this without having to reload Windows 2k from scratch. if
    so, what's the best approach?

    Thanks in advance

    Tony

  2. Re: Inaccessible_Boot_Device

    "Tony" wrote in message
    > just upgraded my m/d and processor. Now I can't boot to windows and

    receive
    > the following stop error just at the beginning of windows 2K Pro loading:
    >
    > STP:0X0000007B....... Inaccessible_Boot_Device etc...
    >
    > can I recover from this without having to reload Windows 2k from scratch.

    if
    > so, what's the best approach?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Tony

    You probably won't like the answer but here it is anyway.

    Win2000 & WinXP are quite particular when it comes to hardware
    changes. If you change the hardware then you risk losing the system
    altogether.

    However, I have had good success (and some failures) when telling
    Win2000 to use the Standard Microsoft Disk Controller driver instead
    of the proprietary one. Yesterday, using this method, I managed to
    clone Win2000 from my desktop to my laptop!

    So here is the method:
    - Boot your system on the old motherboard (sorry about this!)
    - Change the disk controller driver
    - Boot up on the new motherboard
    - See if the disk controller driver needs changing

    And here is the official Microsoft line. I must admit that I've tried it
    once only, and I failed:

    How to Move a Windows Installation to Different Hardware
    http://support.microsoft.com/directo...;EN-US;Q249694

    How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/support...es/Q292175.ASP

+ Reply to Thread