Getting user logon data in Win98, how? - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Getting user logon data in Win98, how? - Windows NT ; How can I hook user's name and password during logon process in Windows98 to use it further on in my application? I mean that in NT based Windows (2000, XP) there is a standard schema to do this (using MSGINA.DLL). ...

  1. Getting user logon data in Win98, how?

    How can I hook user's name and password during logon process in
    Windows98 to use it further on in my application? I mean that in NT
    based Windows (2000, XP) there is a standard schema to do this (using
    MSGINA.DLL). Is there any way to do something similar in Windows98? How
    could I do this anyway?
    Thanks.

  2. Re: Getting user logon data in Win98, how?

    Hello,

    Well, under windows 2000 you can validate the endUser by using the
    win32 API
    "NetUserChangePassword" to verify whether the userName and passWord are
    know. However, under windows 98 --- you will have to enable the NTLM
    security
    services in order to authenticate the sspi method. Please read this
    article from
    microSoft:

    "How To Validate User Credentials on Microsoft Operating Systems"

    Hope these information helps.

    Kellie.

  3. Re: Getting user logon data in Win98, how?

    Kellie, which of those methods will let the OP do what she has asked:
    to get the current user's password on a win98 system?

    TC

  4. Re: Getting user logon data in Win98, how?

    Hi TC,

    Per microSoft's webSite link that is provided in this thread:

    "you can use the Security Support Provider Interface (SSPI) to do a
    network style logon
    with provided user credentials. This method of validation has the
    advantage of not
    requiring any special privilege, as well as working on all versions of
    Windows. To use
    this method on Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Millennium Edition,
    you also
    have to enable the NTLM security services by opening Control Panel,
    Network,
    Access Control, and then selecting User-level access control."

    Also, the demo program that is provided by microSoft shows how to
    authenticate the
    endUser and the password by call the SSPI services to perform
    credential validation.

    Cheers, Kellie.

  5. Re: Getting user logon data in Win98, how?

    Kellie, you're missing my point - unless I am missing your point!

    AFAIK, none of the methods that you have suggested, let the OP do what
    she actually asked: namely, to >>get<< the current user's password on a
    win98 system.

    She did not ask how to verify known user credentials. She asked how to
    get the current user's password. Those are two completely different
    things.

    Putting it a different way: she can not verify, something that she can
    not get in the first place. And if she /could/ get it (the current
    user's password), she would not /need/ to verify it, because it would,
    by definition, be correct.

    HTH,
    TC

  6. Re: Getting user logon data in Win98, how?

    Hi TC,

    when you read the webSite link that I have provided in this thread, you
    will
    discover that, according to microSoft's computer terminology, they are
    using the
    term credentials to refer to the term passWord and userName. Here is
    how they
    are stating it in their link.

    "Occasionally, you may want an application to verify a user's user name
    and
    password (hereafter referred to as credentials). You can do this a
    couple of
    different ways, depending on the operating system on which the
    application runs."

    Cheers, Kellie.

  7. Re: Getting user logon data in Win98, how?

    "Kellie Fitton" wrote in message
    news:1118846021.309452.74410@z14g2000cwz.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hi TC,
    >
    > when you read the webSite link that I have provided in this thread, you
    > will
    > discover that, according to microSoft's computer terminology, they are
    > using the
    > term credentials to refer to the term passWord and userName. Here is
    > how they
    > are stating it in their link.
    >
    > "Occasionally, you may want an application to verify a user's user name
    > and
    > password (hereafter referred to as credentials). You can do this a
    > couple of
    > different ways, depending on the operating system on which the
    > application runs."
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;180548
    >
    > Cheers, Kellie.

    For gods/evolutions or who'sever sake, Kelly, can't you read or understand?

    You keep telling the OP to use the API's on that page validate a username
    and
    password you assume OP already has.
    In the perfect world there is no way to get a password and only a single
    part
    of the operating system should ask for password.

    In the OP's case she want's to have such a password. In NT technology based
    systems the password is only available to the ONE part of OS i told
    before --
    and it's called GINA.

    As far as i know there isn't such an interfact for Win9x. In any case i
    wouldn't
    care much as a) Win9x is outdated b) Win9x is unsecure and c) if you get
    the
    password then you already have the credentials needed. If your application
    isn't able to authenticate using the given process credentials or to
    transport
    the credentials to any network resources needed then i guess the best
    approach
    would be to specify that application isn't support on the Win9x "crap"....
    You could possibly also try to use SetWindowsHookEx() but i hope it would
    fail (for the sake of any type of security).

    And Kelly... no, your suggestion won't fit the Original Posters question

    - Sten

  8. Re: Getting user logon data in Win98, how?

    Hi Sten,

    I think its time for you to switch to deCaffeinated coffee. :---))

    I simply provided the link and said what microSoft's saying in their
    article, this is
    the only article I have found with reference to windows 98 from their
    KB archive.

    Regards, Kellie. :--)

  9. Re: Getting user logon data in Win98, how?

    "Kellie Fitton" wrote in message
    news:1118851867.634455.74730@o13g2000cwo.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hi Sten,
    >
    > I think its time for you to switch to deCaffeinated coffee. :---))
    >
    > I simply provided the link and said what microSoft's saying in their
    > article, this is
    > the only article I have found with reference to windows 98 from their
    > KB archive.

    Your searching skills must be a bit rusty... there is thousands of articles
    about Win98 on Microsoft's sites... why did you choose that one?

    - Sten

  10. Re: Getting user logon data in Win98, how?

    Hi Sten,

    that was the only article that I had found with reference to the
    userName and
    passWord that pertains to windows 98, that's why I thought it might
    help the
    original poster with her question ---- especially since windows 98 is
    passe.

    Regards, Kellie.

  11. Re: Getting user logon data in Win98, how?

    Kellie, please quote the exact words from that article, which describe
    how to get (acquire, obtain, come into possession of) the current
    user's password on a windows 98 system - the original poster's
    question.

    Cheers,
    TC

  12. Re: Getting user logon data in Win98, how?

    Hi TC,

    The Sample Program Code provided by microSoft in this article describes
    in full
    details along with comments on how to verify the user's credentials.
    You have
    to read, analyze, Compile and Run this sample program, in order to
    understand
    what micrSoft is trying to say and do in this article. Here is the
    header for this
    sample program:

    ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    //
    // SSPI Authentication Sample
    //
    // This program demonstrates how to use SSPI to authenticate user
    credentials.
    //
    // THIS CODE AND INFORMATION IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT
    // WARRANTY OF
    // ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT
    // LIMITED
    // TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND/OR FITNESS
    // FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
    //
    // Copyright (C) 2001. Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

    Cheers, Kellie.

  13. Re: Getting user logon data in Win98, how?

    Kellie, please quote the exact lines of code from that example, which
    return (retrieve, obtain) the current user's password, when run on a
    windows 98 system.

    TC

  14. Re: Getting user logon data in Win98, how?

    Earth to Kellie! Earth to Kellie!

    I still want to know which lines of code from that example, will return
    the current user's password, when run on a windows 98 system.

    TC

  15. Re: Getting user logon data in Win98, how?

    Ok, I'll reply on your behalf!

    "Yes TC, you are right, none of my answers addressed the original
    poster's problem, which was, how to get the current user's password on
    a windows 98 system."

    I was just trying to say that it is important to read peoples' quesions
    carefully. Irrelevant answers are sometimes even less help, than no
    answer at all. I wanted to steer the OP away from reading all your
    references, since in my opinion, none of them were going to help him do
    what he actually asked for.

    Cheers,
    TC

+ Reply to Thread