Locking down Apache on NT - File Permissions? - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Locking down Apache on NT - File Permissions? - Windows NT ; My nephew has installed Apache web server on an NT box. I'm using it to develop programs written in Visual Basic for a web site. I found today that I can, through my programs, access any directory or file on ...

  1. Locking down Apache on NT - File Permissions?

    My nephew has installed Apache web server on an NT box.

    I'm using it to develop programs written in Visual Basic for a web
    site.

    I found today that I can, through my programs, access any directory or
    file on the system.

    Is there a way to set up security on this system such as Unix provides
    with File Permissions.

    On a Unix box with Apache, you can specify the folders that can be
    accessed by a web site user. With Unix/Apache permissions can be set
    such that one person's programs (or "cgi scripts" if you prefer)
    cannot access anything outside of the web sites directories unless the
    Administrator grants permission..

    Does a similar ability exist on NT and, if it does, where should I
    start looking for detailed information?

    I would appreciate a reply via both the group and email.

    Bob Novell

  2. Re: Locking down Apache on NT - File Permissions?

    Bob Novell wrote:

    > On a Unix box with Apache, you can specify the folders that can be
    > accessed by a web site user. With Unix/Apache permissions can be set
    > such that one person's programs (or "cgi scripts" if you prefer)
    > cannot access anything outside of the web sites directories unless the
    > Administrator grants permission..
    >
    > Does a similar ability exist on NT and, if it does, where should I
    > start looking for detailed information?

    NT can handle FAT and NTFS file systems. The latter supports access control.
    Please see e.g. .

    Thor

    --
    http://www.anta.net/OH2GDF