IT ethics in the workplace - Windows NT

This is a discussion on IT ethics in the workplace - Windows NT ; Wanted to ask opinions. I don't know where is the best forum for this, so I'll try here unless someone has better ideas. My wife was sending an email at work to her friend, and mentioned she just learned she ...

  1. IT ethics in the workplace

    Wanted to ask opinions.
    I don't know where is the best forum for this, so I'll try here unless
    someone has better ideas.

    My wife was sending an email at work to her friend, and mentioned
    she just learned she was pregnant. This good news was passed by
    email. The IT guy at her company somehow read this mail and then
    passed this "gossip" along in his conversations with other employees.
    My issue here is two-fold :
    1. Is personal email on company computers private or not?
    2. Are the ethics in transmitting content of a non-threatening nature
    such that this would be construed as violation of privacy?

    My wife has no ill feelings toward this person, but thinks this behavior
    is inappropriate and wonders what the consensus is. She wants to
    confront him about this breach of ethics.
    Thanks for any opinions.

    Dr. Balla

  2. Re: IT ethics in the workplace

    les wrote:

    > Wanted to ask opinions.
    > I don't know where is the best forum for this, so I'll try here unless
    > someone has better ideas.
    >
    > My wife was sending an email at work to her friend, and mentioned
    > she just learned she was pregnant. This good news was passed by
    > email. The IT guy at her company somehow read this mail and then
    > passed this "gossip" along in his conversations with other employees.
    > My issue here is two-fold :
    > 1. Is personal email on company computers private or not?
    > 2. Are the ethics in transmitting content of a non-threatening nature
    > such that this would be construed as violation of privacy?
    >
    > My wife has no ill feelings toward this person, but thinks this behavior
    > is inappropriate and wonders what the consensus is. She wants to
    > confront him about this breach of ethics.
    > Thanks for any opinions.
    >
    > Dr. Balla

    Hi. You are absolutely correct. It is very bad ethics and she should
    complain to her boss and the IT guys boss.
    --
    "Why do they call it rush hour when nothing moves?", Robin Williams

  3. Re: IT ethics in the workplace

    Darko Gavrilovic wrote:

    > les wrote:
    >
    >> Wanted to ask opinions.
    >> I don't know where is the best forum for this, so I'll try here unless
    >> someone has better ideas.
    >>
    >> My wife was sending an email at work to her friend, and mentioned
    >> she just learned she was pregnant. This good news was passed by
    >> email. The IT guy at her company somehow read this mail and then
    >> passed this "gossip" along in his conversations with other employees.
    >> My issue here is two-fold :
    >> 1. Is personal email on company computers private or not?
    >> 2. Are the ethics in transmitting content of a non-threatening nature
    >> such that this would be construed as violation of privacy?
    >>
    >> My wife has no ill feelings toward this person, but thinks this behavior
    >> is inappropriate and wonders what the consensus is. She wants to
    >> confront him about this breach of ethics.
    >> Thanks for any opinions.
    >>
    >> Dr. Balla

    > Hi. You are absolutely correct. It is very bad ethics and she should
    > complain to her boss and the IT guys boss.

    However, e-mail written on company time using a company computer is not
    private and she has no reasonable expectation that it remain so. There's
    an ex-CEO from Boeing that learned that the hard way as well.

    --
    Bill Asher

  4. Re: IT ethics in the workplace

    "les" wrote in comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security:

    >1. Is personal email on company computers private or not?

    Not.

    >2. Are the ethics in transmitting content of a non-threatening nature
    >such that this would be construed as violation of privacy?

    Not unless the company has a stated policy that employe e-mails are
    private -- and I've never heard of a US company with such a policy.

    There's no US law allowing employees to use company resources to
    send private e-mails with any expectation of privacy. (Things might
    be different in Europe.)

    >My wife has no ill feelings toward this person, but thinks this behavior
    >is inappropriate and wonders what the consensus is. She wants to
    >confront him about this breach of ethics.

    She could talk with him as one human being to another, saying she
    really would hve wanted the opportunity to announce the news in her
    own way. But if she starts claiming a breach of ethics, she'll put
    herself further in the wrong.

    Why "further"? Because using company e-mail for personal business
    is very likely a violation of company policy.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

  5. Re: IT ethics in the workplace

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 23:15:50 -0600, "les" wrote:

    >1. Is personal email on company computers private or not?

    Generally, it is the property of the owner of the computer. IOW, her
    employer.

    >2. Are the ethics in transmitting content of a non-threatening nature
    >such that this would be construed as violation of privacy?

    Because of (1), no.

    On the other hand, the IT person needs to be spoken to about what is and
    is not appropriate behaviour with respect to revealing the contents of
    email. Only if the email is in violation of the company's policies or
    interests should it contents be made available to anyone; it is *never*
    appropriate to "pass along good news" or even acknowledge that the
    information has been observed.

    --
    #include
    _

  6. Re: IT ethics in the workplace

    William Asher wrote in

    > Darko Gavrilovic wrote:
    >
    >> les wrote:
    >>
    >>> Wanted to ask opinions.
    >>> I don't know where is the best forum for this, so I'll try here
    >>> unless someone has better ideas.
    >>>
    >>> My wife was sending an email at work to her friend, and mentioned
    >>> she just learned she was pregnant. This good news was passed by
    >>> email. The IT guy at her company somehow read this mail and then
    >>> passed this "gossip" along in his conversations with other
    >>> employees. My issue here is two-fold :
    >>> 1. Is personal email on company computers private or not?
    >>> 2. Are the ethics in transmitting content of a non-threatening
    >>> nature such that this would be construed as violation of privacy?
    >>>
    >>> My wife has no ill feelings toward this person, but thinks this
    >>> behavior is inappropriate and wonders what the consensus is. She
    >>> wants to confront him about this breach of ethics.
    >>> Thanks for any opinions.
    >>>
    >>> Dr. Balla

    >> Hi. You are absolutely correct. It is very bad ethics and she should
    >> complain to her boss and the IT guys boss.

    > However, e-mail written on company time using a company computer is
    > not private and she has no reasonable expectation that it remain so.
    > There's an ex-CEO from Boeing that learned that the hard way as well.
    >
    > --
    > Bill Asher

    Not all companies are alike. And not all companies monitor.

    I have not worked in a place that monitors email, but I have studied it.
    I think you can't bury the fact that you monitor email in an employment
    contract and then pounce on someone out of the blue. You need to
    constantly remind staff that you are monitoring emails. But once again,
    perhaps text and practice are 2 different things.

    Either way. From the OP's story, we are not dealing with foul play by a
    staff member. It looks like blatant disregard for someones privacy. It
    should be up to the couple to disclose to their workplace if they are
    having a child, not some IT guy.

    Secondly, I personally feel very bad for these people. I can't remeber
    exactly, but I think there is a high chance of miscarriage in the 1st 3
    months of pregnancy, and the couple have very good reasons to not want to
    disclose it too soon. god forbid, (and I wish these people all the best
    luck and good fortune during their pregancy!), this woman suffers a
    miscarrige and then has to deal with the rest of her workplace knowing
    she had a miscarrige and she didn't even have a say in the matter because
    of the IT guy.

    This was very bad form and poor performance by IT professional. They have
    every right to raise the issue and do something about it. I am also
    pretty disappointed by other rspondents to this. I highly suggest you
    take off your "business" hats and put on your "human" hats for a change.

    ..

    --
    "Why do they call it rush hour when nothing moves?", Robin Williams

  7. Re: IT ethics in the workplace

    "" wrote in comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security:
    >I have not worked in a place that monitors email, but I have studied it.
    >I think you can't bury the fact that you monitor email in an employment
    >contract and then pounce on someone out of the blue.

    Why?

    That=3Fs like saying (*)=3FI think you can=3Ft bury the fact that you
    monitor employee use of telephone and the pounce on someone out of
    the blue for making personal calls.=3F

    Seems to me the default is that your employer=3Fs property is not for
    your personal use. Te employer should not have to warn you not to
    steal.

    (*)Apologies for the garbage characters in the above message.
    Gravity has not adapted well to Windows XP, and one of the
    annoyances is that every once in a while it decides to change real
    quotes to so-caled =3Fsmart quotes=3F. There isn=3Ft even a setting for
    this in the options!

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

  8. Re: IT ethics in the workplace

    Stan Brown wrote in news:3al5jiF6d4iv0U7
    @individual.net:

    > "" wrote in comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security:
    >>I have not worked in a place that monitors email, but I have studied

    it.
    >>I think you can't bury the fact that you monitor email in an employment
    >>contract and then pounce on someone out of the blue.

    > Why?

    Hi. I think you are supposed to have things like stickers, notifiers and
    message pop-up's warning users that their email is being monitored
    otherwise they can turn around and claim you never told them and take
    action. I am not a laywer, so am not the best person to answer this.

    I don't understand what you are trying to say with the below.

    --
    "Why do they call it rush hour when nothing moves?", Robin Williams

  9. Re: IT ethics in the workplace

    hi,

    at ure place as example we can monitor if we need to, theres a rule, what u
    see while monitoring is ment for u and only ure self. exept as example u get
    some childporn stuff or the like then u hand it over to the police. thats
    it. what u read never goes out the room as simple as that. but what ure
    telling there is incredible!! he should get fired. thats my oppinion.

    greetings Colin

    "Kevin D. Quitt" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 23:15:50 -0600, "les" wrote:
    >
    >>1. Is personal email on company computers private or not?

    > Generally, it is the property of the owner of the computer. IOW, her
    > employer.
    >

    >>2. Are the ethics in transmitting content of a non-threatening nature
    >>such that this would be construed as violation of privacy?

    > Because of (1), no.
    >
    > On the other hand, the IT person needs to be spoken to about what is and
    > is not appropriate behaviour with respect to revealing the contents of
    > email. Only if the email is in violation of the company's policies or
    > interests should it contents be made available to anyone; it is *never*
    > appropriate to "pass along good news" or even acknowledge that the
    > information has been observed.
    >

    > --
    > #include
    > _
    > Kevin D Quitt USA 91387-4454 96.37% of all statistics are made up
    > Per the FCA, this address may not be added to any commercial mail list

+ Reply to Thread