C$ drive sharing - Windows NT

This is a discussion on C$ drive sharing - Windows NT ; I'm in need of a little help. I have a home network with 4 PCs on it. Two of PC's are running Windows 2000 Professional, and the other two are running Windows Me. I've just added a new PC to ...

  1. C$ drive sharing

    I'm in need of a little help. I have a home network with 4 PCs on it.
    Two of PC's are running Windows 2000 Professional, and the other two
    are running Windows Me. I've just added a new PC to the net. It's
    running Windows XP Home Edition. I'm going to be using this PC as my
    'main' one. What I need to know is how to set up the two W2k PCs to
    share their C$ drives with the XP unit. The 2 Me PCs were easy. All I
    had to do was right click the C drive icon and click share and Voila!
    The XP PC's got full access no problem. However this does not work
    same with the W2k ones. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

  2. Re: C$ drive sharing

    On Win2k/Xp/2003 boxes the root of a volume is shared out by default,
    but only accessible to administrators on the box. Go to start--run and
    enter compmgmt.msc to bring up computer management and drop down the
    shares and you should see them. In a workgroup context (as opposed to a
    domain context) you'd have to map to the c$ drive in the context of the
    local administrator account. This is done by clicking "connect as a
    different user" and entering \ account> and the password. For example if your workgroup name is
    "frank" and your local admin account is root, then you'd connect as
    frank\root.

    Hope this helps.

+ Reply to Thread