Use RMTSHARE in Active Directory domain - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Use RMTSHARE in Active Directory domain - Windows NT ; Hello All, We have successfully used RMTSHARE.EXE to create and change permissions on remote shares in our NT/4 domain. When I try to use the same program logged in to our new Active Directory domain, it doesn't work - I ...

  1. Use RMTSHARE in Active Directory domain

    Hello All,

    We have successfully used RMTSHARE.EXE to create and change permissions
    on remote shares in our NT/4 domain.

    When I try to use the same program logged in to our new Active
    Directory domain, it doesn't work - I get a "command failed:5". I do
    have permissions to the share & domain. Should it work? Is there
    another utility out there? (I checked the 2003/xp resource kit and
    didn't see anything in there)

    Thanks a million!

    Tom Jacobson

  2. Re: Use RMTSHARE in Active Directory domain

    Have you tried the "net share" command?

    --
    Steve Seguis - MCSE, MVP Windows Server, SCJP
    SCRIPTMATION, INC.

    wrote in message
    news:1107985731.070304.161220@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hello All,
    >
    > We have successfully used RMTSHARE.EXE to create and change permissions
    > on remote shares in our NT/4 domain.
    >
    > When I try to use the same program logged in to our new Active
    > Directory domain, it doesn't work - I get a "command failed:5". I do
    > have permissions to the share & domain. Should it work? Is there
    > another utility out there? (I checked the 2003/xp resource kit and
    > didn't see anything in there)
    >
    > Thanks a million!
    >
    > Tom Jacobson

  3. Re: Use RMTSHARE in Active Directory domain

    Hi Steve,

    Yes Net Share will work on the computer you want to create the share
    on, but I need to be able to do this remotely. We are creating shares
    on a file and print server from our desktops.

    Any ideas on that? Third party?

    Thanks,

    Tom

  4. Re: Use RMTSHARE in Active Directory domain

    Well, you could use psexec.exe from www.sysinternals.com to remotely execute
    net share on a remote PC.

    psexec \\whatevercomputer CMD /C net share ...blah blah....

    --

    wrote in message
    news:1108152305.265647.92730@f14g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hi Steve,
    >
    > Yes Net Share will work on the computer you want to create the share
    > on, but I need to be able to do this remotely. We are creating shares
    > on a file and print server from our desktops.
    >
    > Any ideas on that? Third party?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tom

  5. Re: Use RMTSHARE in Active Directory domain

    RMTSHARE should work, I have used it quite a lot on 2000/2003 domain
    environments. You would have to verify your permissions: do you run it in an
    interactive mode or through a scheduled task? In the latter case you should
    make sure your task has appropriate permissions.

    Jacques

    "Steve Seguis [MVP]" wrote in message
    > Well, you could use psexec.exe from www.sysinternals.com to remotely
    > execute net share on a remote PC.
    >
    > psexec \\whatevercomputer CMD /C net share ...blah blah....
    >
    > --
    > Steve Seguis - MCSE, MVP Windows Server, SCJP
    > SCRIPTMATION, INC.
    > Automating the Enterprise
    > http://www.scriptmation.com

+ Reply to Thread