Great. Taking you at your (poorly written) word, you are technically
competent and polite, and claim to have read and understood all of this
discussion. Therefore it was obviously an oversight that you forgot to
answer the technical question:

How can missing security certificates be identified (and replaced)?

I forgive you your unfortunate lapse, and look forward to your enlightening
answer. We're heard the talk, now let's see the walk.

By the way, the problem is rather more serious than I initially thought.
Turns out that all of the other Windows 2000 machines I was able to test
also have the problem (of apparently missing security certificates). I gave
up counting after 30 unverified files on the last one. The Windows XP
machines don't reveal the problem when running SFC, so I'm not really sure
what it means, apart from the obvious inability to know if the Windows 2000
is running valid files or has been hacked. That isn't a very large sample,
but perhaps this post may elicit some other reports?

For the moment, I suspect this is a typical Microsoftian
security-by-obscurity-whoops problem. That explains why the visiting
Microsoftian had no technical contribution to the thread. He probably knows
the answer, but he doesn't want to talk about it in public. Or perhaps it's
just yet another example of Microsoft's forced migration/upgrade strategy?
We can even dream that one of this week's numerous security patches will fix
it.

Yet again by the way, I find your (Mr. Dilley's) projection on the "lack of
maturity" issue so funny that I'm reposting this reply in a few other forums
for wider amusement. Given the state of the newsgroups these days, I have
little hope of a technically accurate answer, but at least you're
entertaining. Your advice to the project managers is especially hilarious
and amusingly timed, but I'm not actually interested in playing your pro/ad
hominem games.

[And how about using a spelling checker? I'm not making an issue of it, but
it's yet another matter of politeness to the readers.]