Group Policy-Security - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Group Policy-Security - Windows NT ; Does anyone know if it is possible and where to go in the registry to change the values for password aging, remebering same passwords etc. that are set in group policy? I have a machine with a corporate image on ...

  1. Group Policy-Security

    Does anyone know if it is possible and where to go in the registry to change
    the values for password aging, remebering same passwords etc. that are set
    in group policy? I have a machine with a corporate image on it so those
    group policy settings are grayed out to me despite having local admin
    rights. Thanks,

  2. Re: Group Policy-Security

    If those settings are defined at the domain level (i.e. default domain
    policy). then nothing you do at the workstation level with override these
    settings unless there is a policy that overrides it at the OU level.

    --
    Steve Seguis - MCSE, MVP Windows Server, SCJP
    SCRIPTMATION, INC.

    "CJC" wrote in message
    news:7vAMd.24910$t67.4491@bignews5.bellsouth.net.. .
    > Does anyone know if it is possible and where to go in the registry to
    > change the values for password aging, remebering same passwords etc. that
    > are set in group policy? I have a machine with a corporate image on it so
    > those group policy settings are grayed out to me despite having local
    > admin rights. Thanks,

  3. Re: Group Policy-Security

    Thaks for replying Steve but I am not on a domain. Here's the thing, I went
    from one account to another so I had a brand new laptop at Company A not on
    Domain A. I moved to Company B and DID join the domain at Company B but they
    started pushing out crap via SMS and screwing up my new laptop (like loading
    Symantec Nav Ver 8.0 on top of Ver 9.0) so I did a restore after about a
    week (XP restore) and went back to the state I was in the day before I
    started at Company B. Therfore I am not on a domain and had my original
    settings etc. Now, maybe the new Domain pushed out policy's that didn't
    change because of the restore? I do have local admin rights on the pc and
    was a domain admin at Company A but not at Company B.

    Chris
    "Steve Seguis [MVP]" wrote in message
    news:WKYMd.80791$ld2.26809090@twister.nyc.rr.com.. .
    > If those settings are defined at the domain level (i.e. default domain
    > policy). then nothing you do at the workstation level with override these
    > settings unless there is a policy that overrides it at the OU level.
    >
    > --
    > Steve Seguis - MCSE, MVP Windows Server, SCJP
    > SCRIPTMATION, INC.
    > Automating the Enterprise
    > http://www.scriptmation.com
    >

    > "CJC" wrote in message
    > news:7vAMd.24910$t67.4491@bignews5.bellsouth.net.. .
    >> Does anyone know if it is possible and where to go in the registry to
    >> change the values for password aging, remebering same passwords etc. that
    >> are set in group policy? I have a machine with a corporate image on it so
    >> those group policy settings are grayed out to me despite having local
    >> admin rights. Thanks,

  4. Re: Group Policy-Security

    You probably got the restriction upon joining Domain B (The security policy
    downloads and applies at that time and doesn't require you to remain in the
    domain to keep the settings). Since I work with SMS daily, I am aware of the
    scenario you are describing. Even if you removed the policies via the
    registry or through a local GPO, you'd get the policy again the next time
    you logon to the domain.

    --

    "CJC" wrote in message
    news:XS6Nd.37636$BQ2.23512@bignews6.bellsouth.net. ..
    > Thaks for replying Steve but I am not on a domain. Here's the thing, I
    > went from one account to another so I had a brand new laptop at Company A
    > not on Domain A. I moved to Company B and DID join the domain at Company B
    > but they started pushing out crap via SMS and screwing up my new laptop
    > (like loading Symantec Nav Ver 8.0 on top of Ver 9.0) so I did a restore
    > after about a week (XP restore) and went back to the state I was in the
    > day before I started at Company B. Therfore I am not on a domain and had
    > my original settings etc. Now, maybe the new Domain pushed out policy's
    > that didn't change because of the restore? I do have local admin rights on
    > the pc and was a domain admin at Company A but not at Company B.
    >
    > Chris
    > "Steve Seguis [MVP]" wrote in message
    > news:WKYMd.80791$ld2.26809090@twister.nyc.rr.com.. .
    >> If those settings are defined at the domain level (i.e. default domain
    >> policy). then nothing you do at the workstation level with override these
    >> settings unless there is a policy that overrides it at the OU level.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Steve Seguis - MCSE, MVP Windows Server, SCJP
    >> SCRIPTMATION, INC.
    >> Automating the Enterprise
    >> http://www.scriptmation.com
    >>

    >> "CJC" wrote in message
    >> news:7vAMd.24910$t67.4491@bignews5.bellsouth.net.. .
    >>> Does anyone know if it is possible and where to go in the registry to
    >>> change the values for password aging, remebering same passwords etc.
    >>> that are set in group policy? I have a machine with a corporate image on
    >>> it so those group policy settings are grayed out to me despite having
    >>> local admin rights. Thanks,

+ Reply to Thread