Retsrictiing access to local drives through common open dialogue box - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Retsrictiing access to local drives through common open dialogue box - Windows NT ; Hi All, I'm in the final stages of securing our new windows 2000 user environment, amongst other things, all local drives are hidden from my computer and access to the open / save common dialogue box has been disabled where ...

  1. Retsrictiing access to local drives through common open dialogue box

    Hi All,

    I'm in the final stages of securing our new windows 2000 user
    environment, amongst other things, all local drives are hidden from my
    computer and access to the open / save common dialogue box has been
    disabled where possible.

    My problem is that users are still able to browse to the local drives,
    W & X, via the common open/save dialogue box simply by typing w: or x:
    and hitting return.

    Is trawling through the file system and checking NTFS permissions the
    only way of preventing them from doing any damage? Or is there a way
    that browsing access to the drives can be completely disabled?
    Thanks a lot,

    Tim.

  2. Re: Retsrictiing access to local drives through common open dialogue box

    Just resolved my problem.

    I over looked the "prevent access to drives from my computer" policy
    option.

    I've customised the system.adm template to present the option to block
    my custom drives in the above policy option.

    Once enabled, this also denies access to the drives through the common
    open / save dialogue box.

    Tim.

+ Reply to Thread