random password generator for NT 4.0 User Manager - Windows NT

This is a discussion on random password generator for NT 4.0 User Manager - Windows NT ; I run a school network, about 300 computers. Due to budgets and all, we are still running a PDC, NT 4.0. I am concerned with privacy, a teacher is more concerned with kids having full access to lab computers at ...

  1. random password generator for NT 4.0 User Manager

    I run a school network, about 300 computers.

    Due to budgets and all, we are still running a PDC, NT 4.0.

    I am concerned with privacy, a teacher is more concerned with kids
    having full access to lab computers at any time.

    He proposes I make one general login account (example 'lab') that a
    teacher can use for her students when thier class goes into a lab.

    He hopes that there is some way that the PDC can generate a different
    password each day, that kids cant figure out, but all teachers will
    know... example;

    program it so that the password is abc plus the day of the month, minus
    3 (if it were Jan 5th, the password would be abc2, if it were Jan 1st,
    it would be abc30... and so on)

    is there a native way to do this? Or any way at all?
    thanks in advance!
    Jazz Mann

  2. Re: random password generator for NT 4.0 User Manager

    You can write a little program on Pascal/C, which executes such command:
    net user lab ""

    wrote the following:
    > I run a school network, about 300 computers.
    >
    > Due to budgets and all, we are still running a PDC, NT 4.0.
    >
    > I am concerned with privacy, a teacher is more concerned with kids
    > having full access to lab computers at any time.
    >
    > He proposes I make one general login account (example 'lab') that a
    > teacher can use for her students when thier class goes into a lab.
    >
    > He hopes that there is some way that the PDC can generate a different
    > password each day, that kids cant figure out, but all teachers will
    > know... example;
    >
    > program it so that the password is abc plus the day of the month, minus
    > 3 (if it were Jan 5th, the password would be abc2, if it were Jan 1st,
    > it would be abc30... and so on)
    >
    > is there a native way to do this? Or any way at all?
    > thanks in advance!
    > Jazz Mann

  3. Re: random password generator for NT 4.0 User Manager

    hmmm, thanks for the tip.... but I am not a programmer, nor anything
    close...
    what now?

    Den wrote:
    > You can write a little program on Pascal/C, which executes such

    command:
    > net user lab ""
    >
    > wrote the following:
    > > I run a school network, about 300 computers.
    > >
    > > Due to budgets and all, we are still running a PDC, NT 4.0.
    > >
    > > I am concerned with privacy, a teacher is more concerned with kids
    > > having full access to lab computers at any time.
    > >
    > > He proposes I make one general login account (example 'lab') that a
    > > teacher can use for her students when thier class goes into a lab.
    > >
    > > He hopes that there is some way that the PDC can generate a

    different
    > > password each day, that kids cant figure out, but all teachers will
    > > know... example;
    > >
    > > program it so that the password is abc plus the day of the month,

    minus
    > > 3 (if it were Jan 5th, the password would be abc2, if it were Jan

    1st,
    > > it would be abc30... and so on)
    > >
    > > is there a native way to do this? Or any way at all?
    > > thanks in advance!
    > > Jazz Mann

+ Reply to Thread