Temporary local admin rights for non-administrator users - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Temporary local admin rights for non-administrator users - Windows NT ; I am the network admin for a company that has several sales people with laptops who live in various parts of the country. These machines are running Windows 2000 Pro. Some of the guys are good with computers and other ...

  1. Temporary local admin rights for non-administrator users

    I am the network admin for a company that has several sales people with
    laptops who live in various parts of the country. These machines are
    running Windows 2000 Pro. Some of the guys are good with computers and
    other like to play and install programs they should not be using. We
    recently installed FreezeX on the laptops to stop the guys from
    installing software. The program works great, but every once in
    awhile; I get a call where a sales guy needs to do something with the
    machine that requires the local administrator login. We are now having
    the problem where all sales guys know the administrator password and we
    (the IT staff) do not have control over the machine.

    I would like to have some type of software that would allow me to send
    a one time use executable to the employee via email that when executed,
    will give this employee admin rights only for the current login
    session. When the user logs out of the account, their permissions
    reset to a regular local user and in order to gain access to admin
    rights again, the employee would have to put in a request with IT to
    have a new executable sent to them.

    I searched all over the net and have not been able to find such a
    program. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate some
    assistance. Feel free to email me at novkev24 at hotmail dot com.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

  2. Re: Temporary local admin rights for non-administrator users

    what do the users have to do as the local administrator?

  3. Re: Temporary local admin rights for non-administrator users

    Why not just deploy the software for him - far better than giving users any
    admin control. you could use GPO, SMS or something like GFI lan scanner to
    deploy it

    wrote in message
    news:1102732579.979385.73370@c13g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
    >I am the network admin for a company that has several sales people with
    > laptops who live in various parts of the country. These machines are
    > running Windows 2000 Pro. Some of the guys are good with computers and
    > other like to play and install programs they should not be using. We
    > recently installed FreezeX on the laptops to stop the guys from
    > installing software. The program works great, but every once in
    > awhile; I get a call where a sales guy needs to do something with the
    > machine that requires the local administrator login. We are now having
    > the problem where all sales guys know the administrator password and we
    > (the IT staff) do not have control over the machine.
    >
    > I would like to have some type of software that would allow me to send
    > a one time use executable to the employee via email that when executed,
    > will give this employee admin rights only for the current login
    > session. When the user logs out of the account, their permissions
    > reset to a regular local user and in order to gain access to admin
    > rights again, the employee would have to put in a request with IT to
    > have a new executable sent to them.
    >
    > I searched all over the net and have not been able to find such a
    > program. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate some
    > assistance. Feel free to email me at novkev24 at hotmail dot com.
    > Thanks,
    > Kevin

+ Reply to Thread