NEWBIE question, user has insufficient privs to install software - Windows NT

This is a discussion on NEWBIE question, user has insufficient privs to install software - Windows NT ; I have looked thru all my books and much on the 'net but I can't find the answer to this. New domain/net and no one can install software. Get the message "This account does not have sufficient priviledges to install"... ...

  1. NEWBIE question, user has insufficient privs to install software

    I have looked thru all my books and much on the 'net but I can't find
    the answer to this. New domain/net and no one can install software.
    Get the message "This account does not have sufficient priviledges to
    install"... Tried giving a user admin privs, then logoug/login and
    still no luck. I am sure this is a simple one but it has got me
    stumped.

    Thanks,
    Denis

    P.S. Win SBS 2003

  2. Re: NEWBIE question, user has insufficient privs to install software

    Not too familiar with the setup in win 2003, however, could it be an
    issue with your local machine privledges?
    Can you install if you are administrator?
    Do you group policies?

    denisf@attbi.com wrote:

    > I have looked thru all my books and much on the 'net but I can't find
    > the answer to this. New domain/net and no one can install software.
    > Get the message "This account does not have sufficient priviledges to
    > install"... Tried giving a user admin privs, then logoug/login and
    > still no luck. I am sure this is a simple one but it has got me
    > stumped.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Denis
    >
    > P.S. Win SBS 2003

  3. Re: NEWBIE question, user has insufficient privs to install software

    Tried the AlwaysInstallElevated both places in the reg but the
    current_user one gets zero'd upon the user relogin. Tried the GPO for
    ..../windows installer but still no luck. Yes, the install as
    administrator passes the point when it would of failed as a user.

    Many thanks for the help,
    Denis

    On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 19:16:50 -0600, NEWS-vINOD wrote:

    >Not too familiar with the setup in win 2003, however, could it be an
    >issue with your local machine privledges?
    >Can you install if you are administrator?
    >Do you group policies?
    >
    >denisf@attbi.com wrote:
    >
    >> I have looked thru all my books and much on the 'net but I can't find
    >> the answer to this. New domain/net and no one can install software.
    >> Get the message "This account does not have sufficient priviledges to
    >> install"... Tried giving a user admin privs, then logoug/login and
    >> still no luck. I am sure this is a simple one but it has got me
    >> stumped.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Denis
    >>
    >> P.S. Win SBS 2003

  4. Re: NEWBIE question, user has insufficient privs to install software

    OK, finally found it. Had to make the user a local administrator.
    Probably don't need the AlwaysInstallElevated now. I knew it would be
    simple, too bad it took me so long.....

    Thanks for your help,
    Denis

    On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 21:21:16 -0500, denisf@attbi.com wrote:

    >Tried the AlwaysInstallElevated both places in the reg but the
    >current_user one gets zero'd upon the user relogin. Tried the GPO for
    >.../windows installer but still no luck. Yes, the install as
    >administrator passes the point when it would of failed as a user.
    >
    >Many thanks for the help,
    >Denis
    >
    >On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 19:16:50 -0600, NEWS-vINOD wrote:
    >
    >>Not too familiar with the setup in win 2003, however, could it be an
    >>issue with your local machine privledges?
    >>Can you install if you are administrator?
    >>Do you group policies?
    >>
    >>denisf@attbi.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have looked thru all my books and much on the 'net but I can't find
    >>> the answer to this. New domain/net and no one can install software.
    >>> Get the message "This account does not have sufficient priviledges to
    >>> install"... Tried giving a user admin privs, then logoug/login and
    >>> still no luck. I am sure this is a simple one but it has got me
    >>> stumped.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Denis
    >>>
    >>> P.S. Win SBS 2003