CRC verify on ntbackup - Windows NT

This is a discussion on CRC verify on ntbackup - Windows NT ; Hi, I have been trying to find out what the crc verify actually does on ntbackup. I don't understand crc very well, can anyone give me a brief explanation. Does it include a crc tag for each file and then ...

  1. CRC verify on ntbackup

    Hi,

    I have been trying to find out what the crc verify actually does on
    ntbackup. I don't understand crc very well, can anyone give me a brief
    explanation. Does it include a crc tag for each file and then compare
    crc's from the original file when finished? If so does it mean that
    it is file by file verification and if there are multiple errors
    within the file it may escape notification because CRC only catches
    certain types of errors.

    I am planning on using ntbackup on win2003 for backups and would like
    to know how reliable it is for backup and recovery.

    Thanks
    Chandra

  2. Re: CRC verify on ntbackup

    "Chandra" wrote in message
    news:f605e5d2.0409082240.a40e0c1@posting.google.co m...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have been trying to find out what the crc verify actually does on
    > ntbackup. I don't understand crc very well, can anyone give me a brief
    > explanation. Does it include a crc tag for each file and then compare
    > crc's from the original file when finished? If so does it mean that
    > it is file by file verification and if there are multiple errors
    > within the file it may escape notification because CRC only catches
    > certain types of errors.
    >
    > I am planning on using ntbackup on win2003 for backups and would like
    > to know how reliable it is for backup and recovery.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Chandra

    CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) is a method commonly used
    at a hardware level to confirm the validity of data read off some
    storage medium. Each packet read from the storage medium has
    a CRC byte attached. The packet is processed by the CRC
    checker, and if its output does not agree with the CRC byte
    then the data is declared invalid.

    CRC errors are bad news. They tell you that the data could
    not be read successfully off your medium. It's like me putting
    the word "security" into this text, and you seeing "sekurity"
    instead. There is no such word in the English language,
    hence you must assume that something went wrong in the
    transmission of this messsage.

    CRC has nothing to do with file verification, and everything
    with validating data as it is read off your tape.

+ Reply to Thread