Dual boot possible on a NT PC - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Dual boot possible on a NT PC - Windows NT ; I bought twoyears ago a second hand laptop PIII with NT 4.0 It works fine, no problem at all. But now I've a digital camera and want to connect it on the PC. Of course the camera has only an ...

  1. Dual boot possible on a NT PC

    I bought twoyears ago a second hand laptop PIII with NT 4.0
    It works fine, no problem at all.
    But now I've a digital camera and want to connect it on the PC.
    Of course the camera has only an USB connector but the NT doesn't recognize
    it.
    So my question is: is it possible to make this PC dual boot with a partition
    NT and a partition with Windows XP ?

    Al

  2. Re: Dual boot possible on a NT PC

    Albert wrote:

    > So my question is: is it possible to make this PC dual boot with a
    > partition NT and a partition with Windows XP ?

    Usually that shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you have an unused
    partition large enough to keep an XP system. Also make sure you have
    backup copies of all important documents on your laptop. Then install XP
    to the unused partition. It should extend the boot related files and
    information on C: automatically and provide an OS selection menu each
    time the computer is booting.

    Tobias

  3. Re: Dual boot possible on a NT PC

    "Albert" wrote in message
    > I bought twoyears ago a second hand laptop PIII with NT 4.0
    > It works fine, no problem at all.
    > But now I've a digital camera and want to connect it on the PC.
    > Of course the camera has only an USB connector but the NT doesn't

    recognize
    > it.
    > So my question is: is it possible to make this PC dual boot with a

    partition
    > NT and a partition with Windows XP ?

    Firstly, there are a few NT USB drivers available and they do seem to work.
    Drop me an email and I'll dig one out for you if you want to try it.[1] So
    far it's been well tested on Dell Latitude systems and seems perfectly okay
    with zip drives, memory sticks and all-in-one printers. Cameras should be
    okay as well as they work as mass-storage devices, the same as USB memory
    sticks.

    For dual-booting with XP, you need at least Service Pack 4(IIRC) and
    preferably SP6a. Next, you need a good 1.5GB of space on an uncompressed
    drive. Install XP in a separate directory to NT. My personal preference
    here would be to reduce the size of your NT partition with the partition
    manager of your choice[1], create a new partition and install XP in that.
    Just remember that *most* programs installed on one OS will need to be
    installed on the other if you want to use them both with NT and XP.

    [1] Insert all the usual "FFS, Backup first!" disclaimers here

    Tom.

+ Reply to Thread