ISS Host Sensors - Windows NT

This is a discussion on ISS Host Sensors - Windows NT ; Hi, I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has had good or bad experience with ISS Host Sensors on W2K platforms. Are they to be trusted in a production environment? My servers are mixed use SQL, File&Print, Notes etc. Some ...

  1. ISS Host Sensors

    Hi,

    I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has had good or bad
    experience with ISS Host Sensors on W2K platforms.

    Are they to be trusted in a production environment? My servers are
    mixed use SQL, File&Print, Notes etc. Some are quite high load.

    Does the ISS software exert significant load on processing or memory
    etc? Does it introduce any problems?

    Any and all thoughts and opinions much appreciated.

    Thanks

  2. Re: ISS Host Sensors

    In article <227i90t9m0iordfl2k147t64tjhru2meks@4ax.com>,
    boxbdaLIII@yahoo.co.uk says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has had good or bad
    > experience with ISS Host Sensors on W2K platforms.
    >
    > Are they to be trusted in a production environment? My servers are
    > mixed use SQL, File&Print, Notes etc. Some are quite high load.
    >
    > Does the ISS software exert significant load on processing or memory
    > etc? Does it introduce any problems?
    >
    > Any and all thoughts and opinions much appreciated.

    I don't know what a HOST SENSOR is, but I know of IIS/.Net web apps that
    support 88 counties and maintain information on over .5 million kids in
    one state. The server is a Quad Xeon CPU system running .Net (ASP.Net)
    with an oracle back end on another server.

    I run many IIS/ASP/ASP.Net servers with everything from MS SQL, MySQL,
    and Oracle backends without any problem - be warned, if you don't know
    how to secure/configure it you need to hire someone that already does.

    spamfree999@rrohio.com
    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

  3. Re: ISS Host Sensors

    Leythos (void@nowhere.com) wrote:
    : In article <227i90t9m0iordfl2k147t64tjhru2meks@4ax.com>,
    : boxbdaLIII@yahoo.co.uk says...
    : > Hi,
    : >
[...]

    He is talking about ISS sensors [ISS is a vendor of IPS/IDS and one of the
    methods to implement IPS/IDS is to install a sensor on all hosts in your
    network to gather information and report back to the IDS/IPS system. It
    has nothing to do with securing and/or configuring IIS.

    He is asking people who have installed such sensors on what performance
    impact to the platform these sensors introduce. Vendor perfomance numbers
    are useful but in this type of implementation any additional 'real world'
    information is very useful.

    I can offer only thrid hand information but colleges in this are have implemented
    the sensors on a variety of platforms [include NT4/W2K/W3K] and have not performance
    impact at the sensor level. Unfortunatley I cannot offer any first hand information
    but I have not heard any negative reports from organizations that do use this approach

    Hope this helps

    Rick

  4. Re: ISS Host Sensors

    Yep, that's exactly what I'm after...

    ISS Real Secure Host Sensor being used in 'the real world' and what
    peoples perception is of it in terms of performance/stability impact.

    Thanks Rick

    On 5 May 2004 19:34:27 GMT, rick@bcm.tmc.edu (Richard H Miller) wrote:

    >Leythos (void@nowhere.com) wrote:
    >: In article <227i90t9m0iordfl2k147t64tjhru2meks@4ax.com>,
    >: boxbdaLIII@yahoo.co.uk says...
    >: > Hi,
    >: >
    >: > I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has had good or bad
    >: > experience with ISS Host Sensors on W2K platforms.
    >: >
    >: > Are they to be trusted in a production environment? My servers are
    >: > mixed use SQL, File&Print, Notes etc. Some are quite high load.
    >: >
    >: > Does the ISS software exert significant load on processing or memory
    >: > etc? Does it introduce any problems?
    >: >
    >: > Any and all thoughts and opinions much appreciated.
    >
    >: I don't know what a HOST SENSOR is, but I know of IIS/.Net web apps that
    >: support 88 counties and maintain information on over .5 million kids in
    >: one state. The server is a Quad Xeon CPU system running .Net (ASP.Net)
    >: with an oracle back end on another server.
    >
    >: I run many IIS/ASP/ASP.Net servers with everything from MS SQL, MySQL,
    >: and Oracle backends without any problem - be warned, if you don't know
    >: how to secure/configure it you need to hire someone that already does.
    >

    >He is talking about ISS sensors [ISS is a vendor of IPS/IDS and one of the
    >methods to implement IPS/IDS is to install a sensor on all hosts in your
    >network to gather information and report back to the IDS/IPS system. It
    >has nothing to do with securing and/or configuring IIS.
    >
    >He is asking people who have installed such sensors on what performance
    >impact to the platform these sensors introduce. Vendor perfomance numbers
    >are useful but in this type of implementation any additional 'real world'
    >information is very useful.
    >
    >I can offer only thrid hand information but colleges in this are have implemented
    >the sensors on a variety of platforms [include NT4/W2K/W3K] and have not performance
    >impact at the sensor level. Unfortunatley I cannot offer any first hand information
    >but I have not heard any negative reports from organizations that do use this approach
    >
    >Hope this helps
    >

    >Rick

  5. Re: ISS Host Sensors

    In article <2qii905gmobnljm1aea93iu0lvtisd9qeb@4ax.com>,
    boxbdaLIII@yahoo.co.uk says...
    > Yep, that's exactly what I'm after...
    >
    > ISS Real Secure Host Sensor being used in 'the real world' and what
    > peoples perception is of it in terms of performance/stability impact.

    Sorry, my mistake - it's been too long a day.

    spamfree999@rrohio.com
    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

  6. Re: ISS Host Sensors

    wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has had good or bad
    > experience with ISS Host Sensors on W2K platforms.
    >
    > Are they to be trusted in a production environment? My servers are
    > mixed use SQL, File&Print, Notes etc. Some are quite high load.
    >
    > Does the ISS software exert significant load on processing or memory
    > etc? Does it introduce any problems?
    >
    > Any and all thoughts and opinions much appreciated.

    You'll get more answers at the IIS forum.

    Duane

+ Reply to Thread