The server is not configured for transactions - Windows NT

This is a discussion on The server is not configured for transactions - Windows NT ; HELP! I've got an NT4 SP6a server. I am running it as a proxy server and a PDC. I am running MS Proxy 2.0 I have 5 Windows 2000 Professional workstations. I install the LATEST Norton Antivirus software, on both ...

  1. The server is not configured for transactions

    HELP!

    I've got an NT4 SP6a server.
    I am running it as a proxy server and a PDC.
    I am running MS Proxy 2.0

    I have 5 Windows 2000 Professional workstations.
    I install the LATEST Norton Antivirus software, on both the server and the
    clients.
    I have the server go out every night at 1am and get/check for updates to the
    anti-virus definitions.
    I then have it scan at 2am, checking every file for a virus.

    This morning, it found "BackDoor.Trojan", but isolated/Quarantined it. It
    discovered it at 2:41am, leading me
    to believe the scheduled scan found it and took care of it.

    I get up the next morning, log on the a workstation, and can see the
    proxy/server and can ever FTP, Browse, and get/send email.
    I CANNOT get to other computers on the network.

    When I click on network neighborhood, and then the name of my domain (DHI),
    I get the following message:
    "DHI is not accessable.
    The server is not configured for transactions"

    If I go to Microsoft's site, all the references seem to point to Windows
    2000 solutions, and offer such helpful
    tidbits as, "check with your server admin to see if it's configured
    correctly."

    I *do not* know what to do.

    The trojan is gone, but I still cannot access other clients on the network.

    Any ideas would be more than welcomed...

    thanking you...

  2. Re: The server is not configured for transactions

    Open a dos prompt and run net share IPC$
    then see if this resolves your issue.

    "Lucy" wrote in message
    > HELP!
    >
    > I've got an NT4 SP6a server.
    > I am running it as a proxy server and a PDC.
    > I am running MS Proxy 2.0
    >
    > I have 5 Windows 2000 Professional workstations.
    > I install the LATEST Norton Antivirus software, on both the server and the
    > clients.
    > I have the server go out every night at 1am and get/check for updates to

    the
    > anti-virus definitions.
    > I then have it scan at 2am, checking every file for a virus.
    >
    > This morning, it found "BackDoor.Trojan", but isolated/Quarantined it. It
    > discovered it at 2:41am, leading me
    > to believe the scheduled scan found it and took care of it.
    >
    > I get up the next morning, log on the a workstation, and can see the
    > proxy/server and can ever FTP, Browse, and get/send email.
    > I CANNOT get to other computers on the network.
    >
    > When I click on network neighborhood, and then the name of my domain

    (DHI),
    > I get the following message:
    > "DHI is not accessable.
    > The server is not configured for transactions"
    >
    > If I go to Microsoft's site, all the references seem to point to Windows
    > 2000 solutions, and offer such helpful
    > tidbits as, "check with your server admin to see if it's configured
    > correctly."
    >
    > I *do not* know what to do.
    >
    > The trojan is gone, but I still cannot access other clients on the

    network.

    > Any ideas would be more than welcomed...
    >
    > thanking you...

  3. Re: The server is not configured for transactions

    Hello Lucy,

    To follow up on what Michael said, you can see if the IPC$ share exists by
    running the net share command. If it is missing, I would start by
    uninstalling and reinstalling the File and Print Sharing network service.
    That should re-create and share out properly the IPC$ share.

    Good luck!

    --
    Doug Allen, Windows 2000 MCSE

    OR if you wish to include a script sample in your post please add "Use of
    included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
    http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm"

    "Michael Giorgio - MVP" wrote in
    message news:ebfVLDO%23DHA.2404@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > Open a dos prompt and run net share IPC$
    > then see if this resolves your issue.
    >
    > "Lucy" wrote in message
    > > HELP!
    > >
    > > I've got an NT4 SP6a server.
    > > I am running it as a proxy server and a PDC.
    > > I am running MS Proxy 2.0
    > >
    > > I have 5 Windows 2000 Professional workstations.
    > > I install the LATEST Norton Antivirus software, on both the server and

    the
    > > clients.
    > > I have the server go out every night at 1am and get/check for updates to

    > the
    > > anti-virus definitions.
    > > I then have it scan at 2am, checking every file for a virus.
    > >
    > > This morning, it found "BackDoor.Trojan", but isolated/Quarantined it.

    It
    > > discovered it at 2:41am, leading me
    > > to believe the scheduled scan found it and took care of it.
    > >
    > > I get up the next morning, log on the a workstation, and can see the
    > > proxy/server and can ever FTP, Browse, and get/send email.
    > > I CANNOT get to other computers on the network.
    > >
    > > When I click on network neighborhood, and then the name of my domain

    > (DHI),
    > > I get the following message:
    > > "DHI is not accessable.
    > > The server is not configured for transactions"
    > >
    > > If I go to Microsoft's site, all the references seem to point to Windows
    > > 2000 solutions, and offer such helpful
    > > tidbits as, "check with your server admin to see if it's configured
    > > correctly."
    > >
    > > I *do not* know what to do.
    > >
    > > The trojan is gone, but I still cannot access other clients on the

    > network.
    > >
    > > Any ideas would be more than welcomed...
    > >
    > > thanking you...

+ Reply to Thread