ntfs permissions - Windows NT

This is a discussion on ntfs permissions - Windows NT ; hi, i am running windows xp prof and i have some folders in shared documents. however, when i view properties, i do not have a 'security' tab, and so cannot allocate which users i want to give permissions to for ...

  1. ntfs permissions

    hi,

    i am running windows xp prof and i have some folders in shared documents.
    however, when i view properties, i do not have a 'security' tab, and so
    cannot allocate which users i want to give permissions to for this folder.

    any ideas why the 'security' tab is not appearing?

    alan

  2. Re: ntfs permissions

    What File System are you using? You have to use NTFS to do file level
    permissions.

    --
    Due to the virus harvesting of email accounts and that I have been
    getting at least 100 copies of the virus a day, I've had to munge my

  3. Re: ntfs permissions

    alan d wrote:
    > hi,
    >
    > i am running windows xp prof and i have some folders in shared documents.
    > however, when i view properties, i do not have a 'security' tab, and so
    > cannot allocate which users i want to give permissions to for this folder.
    >
    > any ideas why the 'security' tab is not appearing?
    >
    > alan

    You must have the 'ForceGuest' option disabled in your registry or in
    your computer's security policy editor (Administative tools - Local
    Security Policy - Local Policies - Security Options - Network Access:
    Sharing and Security model for local accounts) Set it to classic. The
    security tab should be there. If you would like to go the registry
    route, open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SYSTEM - ControlSet001 - Control - Lsa
    and double click on ForceGuest and enter 0 (base does not matter 0 is 0
    in both).

    (This is because of the new Guest accounts in windows xp, it created
    security holes so they just made all remote users guests. Set this
    option to 0 to let users authenticate like windows 2000 users did.)

+ Reply to Thread