Granting access to a user on a non-trusted NT domain - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Granting access to a user on a non-trusted NT domain - Windows NT ; Hi,, help for a young-un needed! Having crammed my exams, I must have completely missed this bit on permissions, and trust me to get a job in an NT domain system - I'm going to have to buy some reference ...

  1. Granting access to a user on a non-trusted NT domain

    Hi,, help for a young-un needed! Having crammed my exams, I must have
    completely missed this bit on permissions, and trust me to get a job in an
    NT domain system - I'm going to have to buy some reference books on NT
    pretty sharpish...

    On WinNT I need to grant access to a folder on my domain to a user from
    another, non-trusted domain. The access will be temporary if that makes any
    difference.

    Both domains are on a common network so connectivity isnt a problem, I just
    need someone to walk me through how I'm going to do it.
    Obviously I cannot just right-click on the folder and grant the permission
    to the user in the security tab as due to the Domains not trusting each
    other it cannot validate the user.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Granting access to a user on a non-trusted NT domain

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 17:38:43 -0000, "Covenant" wrote:

    >Hi,, help for a young-un needed! Having crammed my exams, I must have
    >completely missed this bit on permissions, and trust me to get a job in an
    >NT domain system - I'm going to have to buy some reference books on NT
    >pretty sharpish...

    Crap, not another MCSE without any experience or clue.

    >On WinNT I need to grant access to a folder on my domain to a user from
    >another, non-trusted domain. The access will be temporary if that makes any
    >difference.
    >
    >Both domains are on a common network so connectivity isnt a problem, I just
    >need someone to walk me through how I'm going to do it.
    >
    >Obviously I cannot just right-click on the folder and grant the permission
    >to the user in the security tab as due to the Domains not trusting each
    >other it cannot validate the user.
    >
    >Thanks in advance.

    Try creating an local account on the file server with the same
    username/password as the foreign user. Avoid making it a domain
    account if you can as a domain account will have more permissions than
    you really want to grant..

    -Chris

+ Reply to Thread