checking user password windows 2000 - Windows NT

This is a discussion on checking user password windows 2000 - Windows NT ; hey, Is it possible to disable all users on a windows 2000 server who have a particular password. Let say dat all users who have no password how can you disable these users by using a script. We have 700 ...

  1. checking user password windows 2000

    hey,

    Is it possible to disable all users on a windows 2000 server who have a
    particular password.
    Let say dat all users who have no password how can you disable these users
    by using a script.
    We have 700 users. A particular group had a predefined password with higher
    previleges.
    These users should have changed this password but some didn't
    This could mean that they haven't logged onto the system so it's time to
    disable these account.
    Now I use net use to determine if I can access a shared map with their
    account.
    I have a way to determine who has a particular password but I have to
    manually disable these account.
    Is there a script that can detect user with a specific password and disable
    these account?

  2. Re: checking user password windows 2000

    John De Maesschalck wrote:
    > Is there a script that can detect user with a specific password and disable
    > these account?

    You better should change your password policies.

    But: yes, that's possible. Start regedt32 as user SYSTEM (for example
    by using

    C:> AT 23:42 /I CMD

    and starting regedt32 from that shell. Then have a look at the SAM.
    In the Windows Resource-Kit you find tools which work on the registry
    from scripts.

    A problem: finding out the right hashes. So perhaps you
    will just use l0pht crack to crack the passwords and have
    a plain text list. The old version of l▀pht is free.

    Have fun,
    VB.
    --
    X-Pie Software GmbH