New HD - Want to transfer settings from old HD - Windows NT

This is a discussion on New HD - Want to transfer settings from old HD - Windows NT ; ...but I can't! (Windows XP Pro) I have installed a new Master HD and would like to transfer my personal settings from my previous Master but now Slave HD. I have and have had admin rights for both HD's in ...

  1. New HD - Want to transfer settings from old HD

    ...but I can't! (Windows XP Pro)

    I have installed a new Master HD and would like to transfer my personal
    settings from my previous Master but now Slave HD.
    I have and have had admin rights for both HD's in the same name ,but when I
    try to access "D:\Documents and Settings\Myname, all I get is "Access
    Denied" error message.
    I assume it's something to do with permissions and taking over possession
    but I don't know how to do it!
    Any help please?

  2. Re: New HD - Want to transfer settings from old HD

    Alan Bristow wrote:
    > I have installed a new Master HD and would like to transfer my personal
    > settings from my previous Master but now Slave HD.
    > I have and have had admin rights for both HD's in the same name ,but when I
    > try to access "D:\Documents and Settings\Myname, all I get is "Access
    > Denied" error message.
    > I assume it's something to do with permissions and taking over possession
    > but I don't know how to do it!

    Yes, it is.

    Take possession for "D:\Documents and Settings\Myname", then
    add full rights for Administrator on that folders and their
    contents, i.e. using CACLS.

    VB.
    --
    X-Pie Software GmbH