NTFS Permissions - allow read, execute, but prevent copy? - Windows NT

This is a discussion on NTFS Permissions - allow read, execute, but prevent copy? - Windows NT ; Question I'm having trouble with from network security class - lets say I want Susie to have permissions to read and launch a program from a network share, but I don't want her to be able to right click, COPY ...

  1. NTFS Permissions - allow read, execute, but prevent copy?

    Question I'm having trouble with from network security class - lets
    say I want Susie to have permissions to read and launch a program from
    a network share, but I don't want her to be able to right click, COPY
    that program...what permissions would I set? As I understand it, if
    you have "read" you also have copy permission, and you can't get into
    the directory containing the program without read. Any help would be
    appreciated.

    MJ

  2. Re: NTFS Permissions - allow read, execute, but prevent copy?

    Moorehead Johnson wrote:

    > Question I'm having trouble with from network security class - lets
    > say I want Susie to have permissions to read and launch a program
    > from a network share, but I don't want her to be able to right
    > click, COPY
    > that program...what permissions would I set? As I understand it, if
    > you have "read" you also have copy permission, and you can't get
    > into
    > the directory containing the program without read. Any help would
    > be appreciated.
    >
    > MJ

    Copying is reading the contents of a file and writing it into an other
    one. You can copy a file using "copy a b" or "type a > b".

    If you have read permission, you can copy this file.

  3. Re: NTFS Permissions - allow read, execute, but prevent copy?

    If he can read, he have the copy right also.

    Savut

    "Moorehead Johnson" wrote in message
    news:b752db1f.0309280832.4ebf1ac4@posting.google.c om...
    > Question I'm having trouble with from network security class - lets
    > say I want Susie to have permissions to read and launch a program from
    > a network share, but I don't want her to be able to right click, COPY
    > that program...what permissions would I set? As I understand it, if
    > you have "read" you also have copy permission, and you can't get into
    > the directory containing the program without read. Any help would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > MJ

  4. Re: NTFS Permissions - allow read, execute, but prevent copy?

    Only solution i know is to block access to write anywhere else or make
    it more dificult and block right click with group policy.

    Moorehead Johnson wrote:

    > Question I'm having trouble with from network security class - lets
    > say I want Susie to have permissions to read and launch a program from
    > a network share, but I don't want her to be able to right click, COPY
    > that program...what permissions would I set? As I understand it, if
    > you have "read" you also have copy permission, and you can't get into
    > the directory containing the program without read. Any help would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > MJ

+ Reply to Thread