Re: Windows vs Linux Security - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Re: Windows vs Linux Security - Windows NT ; In comp.os.linux.misc Dave wrote: : Here is my current understanding of the Linux vs Windows security : situation. : Levels 1 and 2) No problem with either system. : Level 3) It looks like Linux has a very robust isolation ...

  1. Re: Windows vs Linux Security

    In comp.os.linux.misc Dave wrote:
    : Here is my current understanding of the Linux vs Windows security
    : situation.
    : Levels 1 and 2) No problem with either system.
    : Level 3) It looks like Linux has a very robust isolation of user
    : files and processes, and Windows does not. In the previous thread, I
    : got not a single response to my challenge for anyone to show me code
    : that could destroy anything or access "read-only" information outside
    : my "junk" account on Red Hat 8.

    Am feeling contrary today, so:

    I would challenge you or anyone else to show me any Windows code
    that can do anything obnoxious outside of the user space for any
    normal user in Windows. Like mess with system settings or another
    user's files or kill another user's running processes or the like.

    Level 3 above is well taken care of in Windows exactly the same
    as in Linux but in both cases ONLY if the sys admin is setting
    things up correctly. Logging in as "root" or as "administrator"
    is equally powerful and dangerous on both systems.

    As you note level 4 is the really challenging level.

    Stan

    --
    Stan Bischof ("stan" at the below domain)
    www.worldbadminton.com

  2. Re: Windows vs Linux Security

    On 2003-09-15, nobody@nowhere.com wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.misc Dave wrote:
    >:
    >: Level 3) It looks like Linux has a very robust isolation of user
    >: files and processes, and Windows does not. In the previous thread, I
    >: got not a single response to my challenge for anyone to show me code
    >: that could destroy anything or access "read-only" information outside
    >: my "junk" account on Red Hat 8.

    [...]

    > Level 3 above is well taken care of in Windows exactly the same
    > as in Linux but in both cases ONLY if the sys admin is setting
    > things up correctly. Logging in as "root" or as "administrator"
    > is equally powerful and dangerous on both systems.

    Unfortunately, it is often very difficult to function as a mortal user in
    Windows, so most people outside of corporate desktops end up running as
    "administrator" most of the time anyway.

    --

    -John (JohnThompson@new.rr.com)

+ Reply to Thread