Blocking Hackers Questions W2K - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Blocking Hackers Questions W2K - Windows NT ; I'm a PhD student in AI and part of my research involves me having my own server attached to the local network and the internet. Recently, my server was found to have been hacked - it was running some internet ...

  1. Blocking Hackers Questions W2K

    I'm a PhD student in AI and part of my research involves me having my
    own server attached to the local network and the internet.

    Recently, my server was found to have been hacked - it was running
    some internet chat process - and so the univ pulled the plug out of
    the back of it until I get it sorted.

    So, questions!

    Is there some hardware fix for this? I use a linksys router at home
    and, since I put that in, ZoneAlarm hasn't show one single hack attemp
    - so, would a router or something like that prevent unwanted access to
    my server? If so, would it still be secure if I put a website on the
    server and allow http access?

    What's the best software fix/product to run on the server - either to
    catch and prevent hackers or to assist me in configuring the server so
    as to batton down the hatches?

    many thanks,

    pemo

  2. Re: Blocking Hackers Questions W2K

    In article ,
    NOSPAMpeetm@blueyonder.co.uk says...

    > I'm a PhD student in AI and part of my research involves me having my
    > own server attached to the local network and the internet.
    >
    > Recently, my server was found to have been hacked - it was running
    > some internet chat process - and so the univ pulled the plug out of
    > the back of it until I get it sorted.
    >
    > So, questions!
    >
    > Is there some hardware fix for this? I use a linksys router at home
    > and, since I put that in, ZoneAlarm hasn't show one single hack attemp
    > - so, would a router or something like that prevent unwanted access to
    > my server? If so, would it still be secure if I put a website on the
    > server and allow http access?
    >
    > What's the best software fix/product to run on the server - either to
    > catch and prevent hackers or to assist me in configuring the server so
    > as to batton down the hatches?
    >
    > many thanks,

    I would guess that you didn't use MS Update to PATCH your machine and
    that you have file/printer sharing enabled on a PUBLIC IP address and
    were not running any firewall or virus software.

    The problem with ZA, BI, etc... is that if you don't properly configure
    them, or if you allow something that you don't really understand, that
    you will get hacked.

    A router is your primary line of defense - it blocks ALL inbound
    connections unless your computer invited them in.

    Quality Anti-Virus software is the next.

    Running Microsoft Update every evening is the next step.
    Running Microsoft Office Update every week is a good thing to do also.

    Since you said Windows 2000 - I would assume that you may have IIS and
    FTP and SMTP services installed - if you are not using them then you
    should remove them.

    Once you get the $50 linksys router you should download the free
    WallWatcher program and enable logging in the router. It will clearly
    show you what is going IN and OUT of your network.

    No one I know that is using a Linksys router between their network and
    the internet was effected by the Blaster worm (or the slammer or any
    other worm) in more than 3 years.

    There are many other things you can do, but if you do everything above
    you should not have any problems with uninvited strangers.

    Remember - if you get an email, even from someone you know, and it has
    an attachment, and you didn't ask for it, don't open it - even your
    friends can send you infected files (or macro's) once their machines are
    compromised.

    Mark

    spamfree999@rrohio.com
    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

  3. Re: Blocking Hackers Questions W2K

    "Leythos" wrote in message
    Remember - if you get an email, even from someone you know, and it
    has
    > an attachment, and you didn't ask for it, don't open it - even your
    > friends can send you infected files (or macro's) once their machines are
    > compromised.

    And don't forget to set your email program to deliver *all* email as plain
    text. If you use IE, be sure to check the option that isolates all
    attachments and prevents them from executing. (Tools/Options/Security)

+ Reply to Thread