Local admin rights on a foreign domain? - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Local admin rights on a foreign domain? - Windows NT ; I'm trying to get past a peculiar domain trust issue. Here is the situation: - I have three servers in domain "foo": A,B, & C (A is the DC) - The domain "foo" trusts the domain "bar" (one way trust) ...

  1. Local admin rights on a foreign domain?

    I'm trying to get past a peculiar domain trust issue. Here is the
    situation:

    - I have three servers in domain "foo": A,B, & C (A is the DC)

    - The domain "foo" trusts the domain "bar" (one way trust)

    - I have added user "bar\blech" as a local administrator on all the servers
    in domain "foo"

    Result: bar\blech can remotely access resources on server A, but not on
    servers B & C because of a "trust relationship failed" error. I have tried
    taking B and C out of the domain and rejoining, so I know it is not a
    password sync issue.

    Any ideas what I need to do to have admin access on servers B and C from the
    Redmond domain?

    Thanks,

    -e

  2. Re: Local admin rights on a foreign domain?

    Sounds like you have added bar\blech to the domain "adminsitrators"
    group and not the local group on the members B and C. By default
    only a member of the domain admin group has local admin privileges
    on domain members. Open user manager with a focus towards the
    machine name not the domain and add bar\blech to the local admin
    group on B and C. This will give bar\blech local admin access to B
    and C.

    "Eric Jorgensen" wrote in message
    > I'm trying to get past a peculiar domain trust issue. Here is the
    > situation:

    > - I have three servers in domain "foo": A,B, & C (A is the DC)
    >
    > - The domain "foo" trusts the domain "bar" (one way trust)
    >
    > - I have added user "bar\blech" as a local administrator on all the

    servers
    > in domain "foo"
    >
    > Result: bar\blech can remotely access resources on server A, but not

    on
    > servers B & C because of a "trust relationship failed" error. I have

    tried
    > taking B and C out of the domain and rejoining, so I know it is not a
    > password sync issue.
    >
    > Any ideas what I need to do to have admin access on servers B and C

    from the
    > Redmond domain?

+ Reply to Thread