Migrating or Backing up permissions on W2k server - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Migrating or Backing up permissions on W2k server - Windows NT ; Hi folks We have a file server which died due to a hdd failure. The drive was partitioned into 3Gb system with W2k server, and 17Gb data. The system partition was trashed but the data partition was ok. All we ...

  1. Migrating or Backing up permissions on W2k server

    Hi folks

    We have a file server which died due to a hdd failure. The drive was
    partitioned into 3Gb system with W2k server, and 17Gb data. The
    system partition was trashed but the data partition was ok. All we
    could do was build a new server & move all data from the old drive to
    the new. However, spent the best part of a day recreating all the
    shares & resetting permissions.

    We've already used the MS Print Migrator on a print server to transfer
    all the print share settings to a new server. Does anyone know if a
    similar tool exists for backing up share names & permissions in case
    our file server dies again? All the permissions are from external ADS
    users, thhere are no local users, so all the SIDs won't change.

    cheers

    Dave

  2. Re: Migrating or Backing up permissions on W2k server

    Small Wonders Software has a program called Security Explorer that will
    backup permissions.

    Cheers,
    Troy
    "lorisarvendu" wrote in message
    > Hi folks
    >
    > We have a file server which died due to a hdd failure. The drive was
    > partitioned into 3Gb system with W2k server, and 17Gb data. The
    > system partition was trashed but the data partition was ok. All we
    > could do was build a new server & move all data from the old drive to
    > the new. However, spent the best part of a day recreating all the
    > shares & resetting permissions.
    >
    > We've already used the MS Print Migrator on a print server to transfer
    > all the print share settings to a new server. Does anyone know if a
    > similar tool exists for backing up share names & permissions in case
    > our file server dies again? All the permissions are from external ADS
    > users, thhere are no local users, so all the SIDs won't change.
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > Dave

  3. Re: Migrating or Backing up permissions on W2k server

    Thanks for the tip. I have registered for an eval copy!

    cheers

    Dave

    On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 15:41:26 -0400, "Troy Forsythe"
    wrote:

    >Small Wonders Software has a program called Security Explorer that will
    >backup permissions.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Troy
    >"lorisarvendu" wrote in message
    >> Hi folks
    >>
    >> We have a file server which died due to a hdd failure. The drive was
    >> partitioned into 3Gb system with W2k server, and 17Gb data. The
    >> system partition was trashed but the data partition was ok. All we
    >> could do was build a new server & move all data from the old drive to
    >> the new. However, spent the best part of a day recreating all the
    >> shares & resetting permissions.
    >>
    >> We've already used the MS Print Migrator on a print server to transfer
    >> all the print share settings to a new server. Does anyone know if a
    >> similar tool exists for backing up share names & permissions in case
    >> our file server dies again? All the permissions are from external ADS
    >> users, thhere are no local users, so all the SIDs won't change.
    >>
    >> cheers
    >>
    >> Dave

+ Reply to Thread