TCP/IP question - Windows NT

This is a discussion on TCP/IP question - Windows NT ; Hi, I am trying to disable all the unused tcp ports through tcp/ip filtering, but when I do that (on the server) the workstations are unable to see the servers. Can you tell me which ports are used for that ...

  1. TCP/IP question

    Hi,
    I am trying to disable all the unused tcp ports through tcp/ip filtering,
    but when I do that (on the server) the workstations are unable to see the
    servers. Can you tell me which ports are used for that purpose? I am not
    sure what it is called so I can do more research on the topic.

    Thank you.

  2. Re: TCP/IP question

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 14:19:48 -0400, "@@bogus" wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am trying to disable all the unused tcp ports through tcp/ip filtering,
    > but when I do that (on the server) the workstations are unable to see the
    > servers. Can you tell me which ports are used for that purpose? I am not
    > sure what it is called so I can do more research on the topic.

    If you're talking about Net{BIOS,BEUI}, it uses 135, 137, 138 and 139. You
    might need 445 open too.

    --
    -- Skylar Thompson (skylar@os2.dhs.org)
    -- http://os2.dhs.org/~skylar/

  3. Re: TCP/IP question

    Yes. That is it. I had those open (except for 445) but some of the computers
    weren't able to connect. I'll try your suggestion.

    Thank you very much.

    > If you're talking about Net{BIOS,BEUI}, it uses 135, 137, 138 and 139. You
    > might need 445 open too.
    >
    > --
    > -- Skylar Thompson (skylar@os2.dhs.org)
    > -- http://os2.dhs.org/~skylar/