Re: virus or harmless ? - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Re: virus or harmless ? - Windows NT ; On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 09:36:08 -0400, Eric Osman wrote: > >Hi, > >On my xp system which has "Tiny Personal Firewall" installed, every hour >or so I see the following attempt: > > Outgoing Connection Alert! > > Remote: ...

  1. Re: virus or harmless ?

    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >On my xp system which has "Tiny Personal Firewall" installed, every hour
    >or so I see the following attempt:
    >
    > Outgoing Connection Alert!
    >
    > Remote: 218.15.192.64 - ICMP [3] Destination Unreachable
    >
    > Details: Application from your computer wants to send ICMP
    > packet to 218.15.192.64
    >
    > Details about application --- tcpip kernel driver
    >

    >By the way, I arin'd the address and arin says it's "Asia Pacific
    >Network Information Centre" Is this likely a virus ? Or something
    >harmless ? Is there a more appropriate newsgroup to ask in ? Thanks.
    >

    >/Eric

    Sounds like your computer is trying to respond to some sort of ICMP
    attack. You should be able to ignore this.

  2. Re: virus or harmless ?

    This is most likely your computer trying to respond to a messenger
    service request...this address has appears litterally hundreds of
    times in my firewall logs, sending messenger spam on port 1026. If it
    is responding, that means that their packets are getting through...I
    would suggest blocking this port and if possible this ip address.

    chris@nospam.com wrote in message news:...
    > On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 09:36:08 -0400, Eric Osman
    > wrote:
    >

    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >On my xp system which has "Tiny Personal Firewall" installed, every hour
    > >or so I see the following attempt:
    > >
    > > Outgoing Connection Alert!
    > >
    > > Remote: 218.15.192.64 - ICMP [3] Destination Unreachable
    > >
    > > Details: Application from your computer wants to send ICMP
    > > packet to 218.15.192.64
    > >
    > > Details about application --- tcpip kernel driver
    > >

    > >By the way, I arin'd the address and arin says it's "Asia Pacific
    > >Network Information Centre" Is this likely a virus ? Or something
    > >harmless ? Is there a more appropriate newsgroup to ask in ? Thanks.
    > >

    > >/Eric

    > Sounds like your computer is trying to respond to some sort of ICMP
    > attack. You should be able to ignore this.

+ Reply to Thread