problems with lost permissions - Windows NT

This is a discussion on problems with lost permissions - Windows NT ; Hi, I have a rather peculiar problem with lost permissions on a Win2K standalone machine. Being logged in as an Admin, the user has removed all access rights for c:\, including his own, Everyone's and System's. Now when we try ...

  1. problems with lost permissions

    Hi,

    I have a rather peculiar problem with lost permissions on a Win2K
    standalone machine. Being logged in as an Admin, the user has removed
    all access rights for c:\, including his own, Everyone's and System's.

    Now when we try to add a User to the empty user list, we get "unable
    to display the user selection dialog (null)" as an error message.
    Access to c:\ is completely blocked, but all subfolders are accessible
    (curiously it's not possible to copy any files out of them, though. I
    suppose copying out of subfolders requires access to root).

    We tried installing a second copy of Win2K in parallel, to see if that
    would fix the problem. This was a bad idea, since setup was not only
    unable to install ntldr in root, due to having no rights, but also
    apparently removed the copy of ntldr that was there. How it did that
    while being unable to write or read the folder is anyone's guess.

    Now the system won't boot at all. We have gotten his data off in
    another NT system, using Winzip to read the files out of the
    subfolders and copy them into an archive (since copying them still
    doesn't work).

    Is there any way to restore the rights to access root and copy ntldr
    back to where it belongs (except format/reinstall).

    Thanks a lot for any helpful comments,
    Kai

  2. Re: problems with lost permissions

    On 11 Jul 2003 11:03:31 -0700, schreiber@genista.de (Kai Schreiber)
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have a rather peculiar problem with lost permissions on a Win2K
    >standalone machine. Being logged in as an Admin, the user has removed
    >all access rights for c:\, including his own, Everyone's and System's.
    >
    >Now when we try to add a User to the empty user list, we get "unable
    >to display the user selection dialog (null)" as an error message.
    >Access to c:\ is completely blocked, but all subfolders are accessible
    >(curiously it's not possible to copy any files out of them, though. I
    >suppose copying out of subfolders requires access to root).
    >
    >We tried installing a second copy of Win2K in parallel, to see if that
    >would fix the problem. This was a bad idea, since setup was not only
    >unable to install ntldr in root, due to having no rights, but also
    >apparently removed the copy of ntldr that was there. How it did that
    >while being unable to write or read the folder is anyone's guess.
    >
    >Now the system won't boot at all. We have gotten his data off in
    >another NT system, using Winzip to read the files out of the
    >subfolders and copy them into an archive (since copying them still
    >doesn't work).
    >
    >Is there any way to restore the rights to access root and copy ntldr
    >back to where it belongs (except format/reinstall).
    >
    >Thanks a lot for any helpful comments,
    >Kai

    Stick the drive into another computer and change the permissions back.
    Or use a partition tool to convert it to FAT which will remove all
    permissions.

+ Reply to Thread