"Vladimir Katalov" wrote in message
news:bcrjjb$migbm$1@ID-89288.news.dfncis.de...
> "Graham Lidbury" wrote in message
> > Can anyone advise me as to how I can restrict access to CD Writers in
> > Windows NT4.
> > I would like to configure a PC so that only particular named users can

> write
> > to the CD W/R.
> >
> > I have tried some utility's which claim to do this, but unfortunately,

> they
> > do not stop the likes of Easy CD Creator.
> >
> > Is there something I can set using the Policy editor to achieve this??

> I can recommend you an excellent 3rd party utility instead -- DeviceLock:
>
> http://www.devicelock.com/
>
> --
> Sincerely yours,
> Vladimir
>
> Vladimir Katalov
> Managing Director
> ElcomSoft Co.Ltd.
> Member of Association of Shareware Professionals (ASP)
> Member of Russian Cryptology Association
> mailto:vkatalov@elcomsoft.com
> http://www.elcomsoft.com/adc.html (Advanced Disk Catalog)
> http://www.elcomsoft.com/art.html (Advanced Registry Tracer)
> http://www.elcomsoft.com/prs.html (Password Recovery Software)
> http://www.mailutilities.com (Email Management Software)

Thank you for replying to my request, unfortunately, devicelock is one of
the utilitys I have tested, although it can lock a CDROM from normal access,
it will not stop EasyCD Creator. I have written to Devicelock about this and
they confirm that this is something they are looking into.

In the meantime, I have found that by setting the CDROM device to start in
Manual mode, I can use a Batch file to start it after the PC has booted and
been logged onto. Unfortunately, it will only allow an administrator to
start the Device.

Does anyone know how I can allow an ordinary user to be able to start the
CDROM device.

Rgds

Graham