I have a laptop running windows xp with sp2. I log onto the network
just fine from the office and can access all my shares just fine. When
i log on from home using a vpn connection and i try to access a network
share on the server it asks me for my username, password and domain. If
i enter my information it gives me a pop up message saying that
username was already tried and to specify a new one. I don't have the
administrator password to attempt using that. When opening outlook, i
get one error saying the server is unavailable, but i just click retry
and it works fine after that.

this happens whether i log onto the machine using the vpn connection,
or start the vpn after logging onto the machine. Any ideas?