Recomendation for network setup - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Recomendation for network setup - Windows NT ; Hi, i have a samll network of about 20 pcs running w2k or winxp. I have a win 2003 std domain controller and want to use it as the gateway for internet access to all our clients. My internet connection ...

  1. Recomendation for network setup

    Hi, i have a samll network of about 20 pcs running w2k or winxp. I have
    a win 2003 std domain controller and want to use it as the gateway for
    internet access to all our clients. My internet connection is a DSL
    line with pppoe protocol. This weekend i tried to install isa server on
    the dc and was not able to configure it to work as the gateway, i have
    two nic cards, i know one should be configured as an external nic and
    another as the internal. For what i understand the external nic should
    have the public ip of the isp. But i dont know how to configure it. The
    external nic keeps getting the default ip 169.xxx.xxx.xxx

    Can someone tell me how to fix this and also if its a good
    recomendation to install the isa server in the domain controller???

    Thank you in advanced

    Marco Soria

  2. Re: Recomendation for network setup

    Hi. You can use that server for your purposes or another one. As a
    proxy, you can use FreeProxy, from Hand-Crafted Software. The IP of the
    external nic has to be the one in the subnet of that nic and the DSL
    router, not the public one of the ISP that can actually change.
    The default gateway of the server has to be the one of the DSL
    Router.
    To finish, the configuration of the client has to be changed to use
    the proxy you have set. Use for that the IP of the server and the port
    to which the proxy listens.

    Another option:

    If you don't need specific firewall settings, you can plug your DSL
    router directly to the local network and configure the server in the
    same way. By doing this, you donīt need to use a secondary nic in the
    server. BUT make sure you disable incoming NAT mapping in your router
    and also change the default password.

    Buena suerte.

+ Reply to Thread