Add XP machine to domain manually - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Add XP machine to domain manually - Windows NT ; OK, I have a Media Center Edition 2005 system and the Domain option is grayed out as these extender devices that I do not care about nor will ever buy do not support connecting to a MCE system that is ...

  1. Add XP machine to domain manually

    OK,

    I have a Media Center Edition 2005 system and the Domain option is
    grayed out as these extender devices that I do not care about nor will
    ever buy do not support connecting to a MCE system that is on a domain.
    Since the add to domain option is grayed out, is there a way to
    simulate in the computer what adding it through the "My Computer"
    "Properties" page would do so I can force add it? Thanks.

    JR

  2. Re: Add XP machine to domain manually

    "JR" wrote in message
    news:1102901940.380915.68920@c13g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
    > OK,
    >
    > I have a Media Center Edition 2005 system and the Domain option is
    > grayed out as these extender devices that I do not care about nor will
    > ever buy do not support connecting to a MCE system that is on a domain.
    > Since the add to domain option is grayed out, is there a way to
    > simulate in the computer what adding it through the "My Computer"
    > "Properties" page would do so I can force add it? Thanks.
    >
    > JR

    What is your aim (in functional terms) by registering this
    machine on the domain?

  3. Re: Add XP machine to domain manually

    It is my understanding that any version of Windows XP other than
    professional does not have the functionality built in to join a domain.
    However, if it is at all possible, it could possibly be done using the
    netdom.exe command from the windows 2000/2003 resource kit.

    --
    Steve Seguis - MCSE, MS-MVP, SCJP
    SCRIPTMATION

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote in message

    > "JR" wrote in message
    > news:1102901940.380915.68920@c13g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
    >> OK,
    >>
    >> I have a Media Center Edition 2005 system and the Domain option is
    >> grayed out as these extender devices that I do not care about nor will
    >> ever buy do not support connecting to a MCE system that is on a domain.
    >> Since the add to domain option is grayed out, is there a way to
    >> simulate in the computer what adding it through the "My Computer"
    >> "Properties" page would do so I can force add it? Thanks.
    >>
    >> JR
    >>

    > What is your aim (in functional terms) by registering this
    > machine on the domain?

+ Reply to Thread