TS Licensing Terminology Question - Windows NT

This is a discussion on TS Licensing Terminology Question - Windows NT ; TS Licensing Terminology Question On windows2000 server's control panel shows "Licensing" icon after installing Terminal Services. What are the difference "Per server: Number of concurrent connections [number]" and "Per seat". Thanks Oktokie...

  1. TS Licensing Terminology Question

    TS Licensing Terminology Question

    On windows2000 server's control panel shows "Licensing" icon after
    installing Terminal Services.
    What are the difference "Per server: Number of concurrent connections
    [number]" and "Per seat".

    Thanks

    Oktokie

  2. Re: TS Licensing Terminology Question

    Per server means that you purchased the license based on the number of
    concurrent connections to the server whereas "Per Seat" requires one license
    for every client. Depending on your organization, this could be a
    significant cost difference. For example, if you have 100 clients but they
    connect to 10 different servers. The following would be the cost breakdown:

    Per Server:
    10 servers x 100 clients = 1000 licenses

    Per Seat
    100 clients = 100 licenses

    In this instance the per seat model is cheaper. basically whenever you have
    a large number of clients connecting to multiple servers, it could be
    significantly cheaper to get per seat licensing. However, if you have a
    scenario where you have few servers but thousands of clients with only
    hundreds of concurrent connections at a time, it may be cheaper to purchase
    per server licensing.

    Hope that helps.

    --
    Steve Seguis - MCSE, MS-MVP, SCJP
    SCRIPTMATION

    "Oktokie" wrote in message
    > TS Licensing Terminology Question
    >
    > On windows2000 server's control panel shows "Licensing" icon after
    > installing Terminal Services.
    > What are the difference "Per server: Number of concurrent connections
    > [number]" and "Per seat".
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Oktokie

  3. Re: TS Licensing Terminology Question

    I might add that this is just another way for MS to suck $$$ from us in
    bogus licensing practices. Just my 2 cents.

    - Steve
    http://www.vncscan.com
    Inexpensive Remote Management

    "Steve Seguis [MVP]" wrote in message
    > Per server means that you purchased the license based on the number of
    > concurrent connections to the server whereas "Per Seat" requires one

    license
    > for every client. Depending on your organization, this could be a
    > significant cost difference. For example, if you have 100 clients but they
    > connect to 10 different servers. The following would be the cost

    breakdown:

    > Per Server:
    > 10 servers x 100 clients = 1000 licenses
    >
    > Per Seat
    > 100 clients = 100 licenses
    >
    > In this instance the per seat model is cheaper. basically whenever you

    have
    > a large number of clients connecting to multiple servers, it could be
    > significantly cheaper to get per seat licensing. However, if you have a
    > scenario where you have few servers but thousands of clients with only
    > hundreds of concurrent connections at a time, it may be cheaper to

    purchase
    > per server licensing.
    >
    > Hope that helps.
    >
    > --
    > Steve Seguis - MCSE, MS-MVP, SCJP
    > SCRIPTMATION
    > Automating the Enterprise
    > http://www.scriptmation.com
    >

    > "Oktokie" wrote in message
    > > TS Licensing Terminology Question
    > >
    > > On windows2000 server's control panel shows "Licensing" icon after
    > > installing Terminal Services.
    > > What are the difference "Per server: Number of concurrent connections
    > > [number]" and "Per seat".
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Oktokie

+ Reply to Thread