Windows NT 4.0 Domain - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Windows NT 4.0 Domain - Windows NT ; I have a rather aggravating problem that I'm hoping has a simple answer. (I'm new to network administration, as in, no experience whatsoever.) I just transitioned from a Win2k Pro based workgroup at my auto dealership to a NT 4 ...

  1. Windows NT 4.0 Domain

    I have a rather aggravating problem that I'm hoping has a simple
    answer. (I'm new to network administration, as in, no experience
    whatsoever.) I just transitioned from a Win2k Pro based workgroup at
    my auto dealership to a NT 4 managed domain with the same Win2k Pro
    workstations.

    I'm now having a problem with user accounts being able to set default
    printers. Although the roaming profiles I've set up work great, certain
    settings just don't seem to "take". For example, the default printers.
    Or letting a user show hidden files in a folder.

    I'm sure this has something to do with the profiles as I can make these
    changes on the Administrator account. They just don't carry over to
    user accounts. Each user is set up as a Power User on their "home"
    computer, and as a Restricted user on other systems. My understanding
    is that Power Users should be able to implement these changes (folder
    options, default printer) on any machine where they have Power User
    privelages.

    Any ideas?

    Danielle Yursgar
    Player's Choice Automotive

  2. Re: Windows NT 4.0 Domain

    You only have to be a regular user to set your default printer (although
    adding new printers requires at least power user rights). When the users log
    off, does the ntuser.dat file in their roaming profile on the server update.
    It's possible that their profiles aren't being uploaded correctly. Are they
    able to set the default printer but it doesn't "remember" these settings
    during their next logon or are they unable to set the default printer at
    all.

    Roaming profiles in NT 4 domains have always been a touchy subject. They
    either work perfectly and you are all happy or they cause more problems than
    they're worth.

    --
    Steve Seguis - MCSE, MS-MVP, SCJP
    SCRIPTMATION

    wrote in message
    news:1102463579.069653.210510@z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
    >I have a rather aggravating problem that I'm hoping has a simple
    > answer. (I'm new to network administration, as in, no experience
    > whatsoever.) I just transitioned from a Win2k Pro based workgroup at
    > my auto dealership to a NT 4 managed domain with the same Win2k Pro
    > workstations.
    >
    > I'm now having a problem with user accounts being able to set default
    > printers. Although the roaming profiles I've set up work great, certain
    > settings just don't seem to "take". For example, the default printers.
    > Or letting a user show hidden files in a folder.
    >
    > I'm sure this has something to do with the profiles as I can make these
    > changes on the Administrator account. They just don't carry over to
    > user accounts. Each user is set up as a Power User on their "home"
    > computer, and as a Restricted user on other systems. My understanding
    > is that Power Users should be able to implement these changes (folder
    > options, default printer) on any machine where they have Power User
    > privelages.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Danielle Yursgar
    > Player's Choice Automotive

  3. Re: Windows NT 4.0 Domain

    Hi Steve, thanks for the quick response!

    The user can't even set a default printer. The only account that I can
    set a default printer on is the Administrator account. (i.e., right
    click printer, select set as default, and the printer icon should
    refresh with a circled checkmark to indicate it's status as default
    printer.)

    Regular user accounts simply can't set a printer as default. It's very
    similar I think to the problem with folder browsing. Go into options,
    set show hidden folders, and it doesn't change the setting -- open up
    options again and the hide hidden folders option is still checked as if
    no one had changed it.

    The profiles seem to work fine. Users retain all their application
    data, program links, etc, from machine to machine. This has got to be
    a security issue since I don't have a problem making the above changes
    on the Administrator account.

  4. Re: Windows NT 4.0 Domain

    You might want to check to see if you have any policies preventing this.
    This is the only thing I can see in Microsoft's support site although it
    applies to Windows NT 4.0 workstation (it might be worth a shot anyway)

    "Danielle" wrote in message
    news:1102467426.089167.324230@z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi Steve, thanks for the quick response!
    >
    > The user can't even set a default printer. The only account that I can
    > set a default printer on is the Administrator account. (i.e., right
    > click printer, select set as default, and the printer icon should
    > refresh with a circled checkmark to indicate it's status as default
    > printer.)
    >
    > Regular user accounts simply can't set a printer as default. It's very
    > similar I think to the problem with folder browsing. Go into options,
    > set show hidden folders, and it doesn't change the setting -- open up
    > options again and the hide hidden folders option is still checked as if
    > no one had changed it.
    >
    > The profiles seem to work fine. Users retain all their application
    > data, program links, etc, from machine to machine. This has got to be
    > a security issue since I don't have a problem making the above changes
    > on the Administrator account.

+ Reply to Thread