nt network printer shares - Windows NT

This is a discussion on nt network printer shares - Windows NT ; I have an NT server that shares several printers. NT clients connect to these printers but I have no idea which client is connecting to which printer. I wish to generate a list of clients and which printer share they ...

  1. nt network printer shares

    I have an NT server that shares several printers. NT clients connect
    to these printers but I have no idea which client is connecting to
    which printer. I wish to generate a list of clients and which printer
    share they are connecting to. There is a key
    HKEY_CURRENT_MACHINE\Printers\Connections\ that lists all printer
    shares but this key is not available to a remote machine.

    I had a way to do it by using Windows Script Host and the RegRead
    method but this is not an option since it is possible that a client may
    not have NT Option Pack installed.

    Is there any other way to read from HKEY_CURRENT_USER on a remote
    machine? Any other way to find this information in another folder like
    HKEY_USERS?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

  2. Re: nt network printer shares

    Well, you don' t need to go as far as using Windows Scripting host to obtain
    this information. Your best bet is to write a script and append it to your
    user's logon script to save this information on a network share.

    My company specializes in custom administration scripting solutions, so if
    you have need this done for you, we can help.

    Thanks,

    --
    Steve Seguis - MCSE, MS-MVP, SCJP
    SCRIPTMATION

    wrote in message
    news:1102450116.339243.29590@f14g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
    >I have an NT server that shares several printers. NT clients connect
    > to these printers but I have no idea which client is connecting to
    > which printer. I wish to generate a list of clients and which printer
    > share they are connecting to. There is a key
    > HKEY_CURRENT_MACHINE\Printers\Connections\ that lists all printer
    > shares but this key is not available to a remote machine.
    >
    > I had a way to do it by using Windows Script Host and the RegRead
    > method but this is not an option since it is possible that a client may
    > not have NT Option Pack installed.
    >
    > Is there any other way to read from HKEY_CURRENT_USER on a remote
    > machine? Any other way to find this information in another folder like
    > HKEY_USERS?
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

  3. Re: nt network printer shares

    Steve,

    Thank you for the suggestion but unfortunately I do not have the luxury
    of modifying any login scripts.. would be too much of a hassle to get
    it pushed through software development!

    I need something that can run from a machine (I have access to the
    domain controller) and will generate a list of the printer shares on
    any domain client I specify. I would prefer not to have to log the
    machines out or modify anything about them permanently as these are
    mission-critical components.

    Jon

  4. Re: nt network printer shares

    I understand your situation but since network printer connections are
    created on a per-user basis, even if you could remotely execute a command to
    query what computers a user was mapped to, it would still need to be run
    under the user's context. If login script modifications are out of the
    question, you could also put the batch file in the startup folder for all
    users where it would execute when they logged in and store their attached
    printers on a network share where they all have access to.

    --

    wrote in message
    news:1102542746.367949.47770@f14g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
    > Steve,
    >
    > Thank you for the suggestion but unfortunately I do not have the luxury
    > of modifying any login scripts.. would be too much of a hassle to get
    > it pushed through software development!
    >
    > I need something that can run from a machine (I have access to the
    > domain controller) and will generate a list of the printer shares on
    > any domain client I specify. I would prefer not to have to log the
    > machines out or modify anything about them permanently as these are
    > mission-critical components.
    >
    > Jon

+ Reply to Thread