Find other PC's using my NT domain account - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Find other PC's using my NT domain account - Windows NT ; Hi, When I got to work this morning I couldn't log into my NT domain account. My account had been locked out. I phoned helpdesk and they reset my password. I logged in successfully but shortly after that I wasn't ...

  1. Find other PC's using my NT domain account

    Hi,

    When I got to work this morning I couldn't log into my NT domain
    account. My account had been locked out. I phoned helpdesk and they
    reset my password. I logged in successfully but shortly after that I
    wasn't able to access the network drives anymore.

    I realised that I had visited a colleague earlier this month who didn't
    have access to a certain network drive and I mapped it for him using my
    NT domain account. In the meantime that password has expired and that
    PC is still trying to log in with my account (but old password), which
    makes my account being locked out!

    Problem is... I do this so often (and usually UNcheck Reconnect at
    Logon) that I can't remember where the PC is that is doing this. We
    have about 5000 employees here, and I have already phoned EVERYbody
    whom I could think of where i might have created a mapping, and asked
    them to disconnect any network mappings that aren't working anymore.

    So, is there any way that I can find out where my NT domain account is
    unsuccessfully being attempted?

    Helpdesk isn't much of a help (they are after all just helpdeskies), so
    I would like to confirm here that someone with Domain Admin rights
    would be able to trace down the failed attempts.
    Please help!

    thnx,
    Francois

  2. Re: Find other PC's using my NT domain account

    The only way you can do this is by filtering out the Security event logs on
    the domain controllers to looking for the account lockout event (can't
    remember the event ID off the top of my head). That will indicate which
    computer caused the account to lock.

    --
    Steve Seguis - MCSE, MS-MVP, SCJP
    SCRIPTMATION

    "igitur" wrote in message
    news:1102334098.277229.53000@z14g2000cwz.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > When I got to work this morning I couldn't log into my NT domain
    > account. My account had been locked out. I phoned helpdesk and they
    > reset my password. I logged in successfully but shortly after that I
    > wasn't able to access the network drives anymore.
    >
    > I realised that I had visited a colleague earlier this month who didn't
    > have access to a certain network drive and I mapped it for him using my
    > NT domain account. In the meantime that password has expired and that
    > PC is still trying to log in with my account (but old password), which
    > makes my account being locked out!
    >
    > Problem is... I do this so often (and usually UNcheck Reconnect at
    > Logon) that I can't remember where the PC is that is doing this. We
    > have about 5000 employees here, and I have already phoned EVERYbody
    > whom I could think of where i might have created a mapping, and asked
    > them to disconnect any network mappings that aren't working anymore.
    >
    > So, is there any way that I can find out where my NT domain account is
    > unsuccessfully being attempted?
    >
    > Helpdesk isn't much of a help (they are after all just helpdeskies), so
    > I would like to confirm here that someone with Domain Admin rights
    > would be able to trace down the failed attempts.
    > Please help!
    >
    > thnx,
    > Francois

  3. Re: Find other PC's using my NT domain account

    Thnx!

    In the end I managed to reach a friendly administrator (yeah, I'm
    surprised too) and he did that for me.

    It turned out to be MY PC! *feeling dumb* and after a few hours more of
    struggling I found that it was Microsoft Reporting Services's
    background service that was causing the problem.

    For some reason it keeps using old credentials when using NT
    authentication to the Report Server.

    I turned off the service, reconfigured to SQL authentication, and now
    things look better again

+ Reply to Thread