How do you restore explorer settings - Windows NT

This is a discussion on How do you restore explorer settings - Windows NT ; I have a problem where I set the explorer settings such as the window size and after a while I find all the settings reset back to the default settings. I would like to either stop this from happening of ...

  1. How do you restore explorer settings

    I have a problem where I set the explorer settings such as the window
    size and after a while I find all the settings reset back to the
    default settings. I would like to either stop this from happening of
    come up with a simple way to save these settings such that I can
    restore them back to the settings I want and not what Microsoft wants.

    One of the things that seem to cause explorer to loose the desired
    settings occurs when I open 3 or more explorer windows or if I enlarge
    one of the windows to full screen. There are other times when it just
    drops my settings without any obvious reason. I suspect that this is
    the result of the many leaks and bugs that are in Microsoft's
    software. If this can be fixed so it doesn't drop my settings would be
    great but I will settle for a way to save the settings in a file that
    can easily be used to reset the settings back to what I set them at.

    SYSTEM INFO.
    Windows 2000 Professional (I've had these problems on NT4, 95, 98 and
    XP)
    V 5.00.2195
    SP 4
    526KB RAM
    g Windows 2K

  2. Re: How do you restore explorer settings

    Is it just the window size you are having problems with? Maybe this also has
    something to do with changing to your other post regarding saving desktop
    savings since changing your resolution might be resetting it.

    --
    Steve Seguis - MCSE, MS-MVP, SCJP
    SCRIPTMATION

    "MGB" wrote in message
    news:44a2153e.0412030922.6f73631c@posting.google.c om...
    >I have a problem where I set the explorer settings such as the window
    > size and after a while I find all the settings reset back to the
    > default settings. I would like to either stop this from happening of
    > come up with a simple way to save these settings such that I can
    > restore them back to the settings I want and not what Microsoft wants.
    >
    > One of the things that seem to cause explorer to loose the desired
    > settings occurs when I open 3 or more explorer windows or if I enlarge
    > one of the windows to full screen. There are other times when it just
    > drops my settings without any obvious reason. I suspect that this is
    > the result of the many leaks and bugs that are in Microsoft's
    > software. If this can be fixed so it doesn't drop my settings would be
    > great but I will settle for a way to save the settings in a file that
    > can easily be used to reset the settings back to what I set them at.
    >

    > SYSTEM INFO.
    > Windows 2000 Professional (I've had these problems on NT4, 95, 98 and
    > XP)
    > V 5.00.2195
    > SP 4
    > 526KB RAM
    > g Windows 2K

  3. Re: How do you restore explorer settings

    Steve Seguis [MVP] wrote:
    > Is it just the window size you are having problems with? Maybe this

    also has
    > something to do with changing to your other post regarding saving

    desktop
    > savings since changing your resolution might be resetting it.
    >
    > --
    > Steve Seguis - MCSE, MS-MVP, SCJP
    > SCRIPTMATION
    > Automating the Enterprise
    > http://www.scriptmation.com
    >

    > "MGB" wrote in message
    > news:44a2153e.0412030922.6f73631c@posting.google.c om...
    > >I have a problem where I set the explorer settings such as the

    window
    > > size and after a while I find all the settings reset back to the
    > > default settings. I would like to either stop this from happening

    of
    > > come up with a simple way to save these settings such that I can
    > > restore them back to the settings I want and not what Microsoft

    wants.

    > > One of the things that seem to cause explorer to loose the desired
    > > settings occurs when I open 3 or more explorer windows or if I

    enlarge
    > > one of the windows to full screen. There are other times when it

    just
    > > drops my settings without any obvious reason. I suspect that this

    is
    > > the result of the many leaks and bugs that are in Microsoft's
    > > software. If this can be fixed so it doesn't drop my settings would

    be
    > > great but I will settle for a way to save the settings in a file

    that
    > > can easily be used to reset the settings back to what I set them

    at.

    > > SYSTEM INFO.
    > > Windows 2000 Professional (I've had these problems on NT4, 95, 98

    and
    > > XP)
    > > V 5.00.2195
    > > SP 4
    > > 526KB RAM
    > > g Windows 2K

  4. Re: How do you restore explorer settings

    No, changing my desktop does not have an affect on the Explorer window
    size. If I change screen resolution all window settings stay the same
    but if I open up 3 or more Window Explorer windows or change one of
    them to full screen the next time I open a Window explorer the screen
    size goes back to the default size. I've also have noticed this problem
    when I have 2 or 3 explorer windows open and I use thumbnails or use
    the folder list on the left and have a lot of folders open. My guess is
    when explorer is heavily used it looses or corrupts the settings I've
    made so the next time it resets or recreates a settings with the
    defaults. If I can save this so and use it to just reset it when this
    happens it would be a big help and save me time.

    As for the desktop changing that occurs mostly when I just downsize the
    screen resolution and all the icons on the desktop are moved so they
    all are visible with the lower resolution. Then when I go back to high
    resolution the icons are all scrunched up in the upper left corner. If
    there is a way of saving a map of where all the icons go so when they
    get moved I can have them reset to where I placed them and not the OS
    would save time and aggravation.

  5. Re: How do you restore explorer settings

[...]

  6. Re: How do you restore explorer settings

[...]

  7. Re: How do you restore explorer settings

[...]

+ Reply to Thread