How to opwn and close network ports - Windows NT

This is a discussion on How to opwn and close network ports - Windows NT ; I am new to networking and I want to know how to open and close network ports? It a skill that I think I should know...

  1. How to opwn and close network ports

    I am new to networking and I want to know how to open and close network
    ports? It a skill that I think I should know

  2. Re: How to opwn and close network ports

    Try a router, a firewall. Use your brain.

    --
    Ross
    "Alistair Smythe" Smythe@att.net> wrote in message
    > I am new to networking and I want to know how to open and close network
    > ports? It a skill that I think I should know

  3. Re: How to opwn and close network ports

    "Alistair Smythe" Smythe@att.net> wrote in message
    >I am new to networking and I want to know how to open and close network
    > ports? It a skill that I think I should know

    It really depends on what type of router/firewall you're using. Exactly
    what do you want to do, and with what software/equipment?

  4. Re: How to opwn and close network ports

    what software or router are you using ?
    "Alistair Smythe" Smythe@att.net> wrote in message
    >I am new to networking and I want to know how to open and close network
    > ports? It a skill that I think I should know

  5. Re: How to opwn and close network ports

    The link below will be a great start. --- Steve

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Sec.../firewall.mspx

    "Alistair Smythe" Smythe@att.net> wrote in message
    >I am new to networking and I want to know how to open and close network
    > ports? It a skill that I think I should know

  6. Re: How to opwn and close network ports

    "Patrick Michael" wrote in message

    > "Alistair Smythe" Smythe@att.net> wrote in message
    >>I am new to networking and I want to know how to open and close network
    >> ports? It a skill that I think I should know

    > It really depends on what type of router/firewall you're using. Exactly
    > what do you want to do, and with what software/equipment?

    I think he was wanting to know if there was a way to open and close them
    manually, without the use of a firewall. I was kinda wondering, too. I doubt
    that knowledge would have many practical applications, though.

  7. Re: How to opwn and close network ports

    Beyond using a firewall or some sort of port filtering such as tcp/ip
    filtering or an ipsec policy the way to open and close ports is by enabling
    or disabling the service or application associated with the port. There are
    utilities like Fport or TCPView that can show which processes/executables
    are using a port and the netstat -b command can also do that in XP SP2. For
    instance disabling the telnet server service will close port 23 tcp on the
    server. --- Steve

    "PlazticSoul" wrote in message

    > "Patrick Michael" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Alistair Smythe" Smythe@att.net> wrote in message
    >>>I am new to networking and I want to know how to open and close network
    >>> ports? It a skill that I think I should know

    >> It really depends on what type of router/firewall you're using. Exactly
    >> what do you want to do, and with what software/equipment?
    >>

    > I think he was wanting to know if there was a way to open and close them
    > manually, without the use of a firewall. I was kinda wondering, too. I
    > doubt that knowledge would have many practical applications, though.

+ Reply to Thread