Some way to simulate NT authentication on Win98 PCs? - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Some way to simulate NT authentication on Win98 PCs? - Windows NT ; We want to force people to log in before they can do things on our network PCs. (We're running mostly Win98SE and WinXP Pro on Win2K Server). NT takes care of this, but is there a way to make it ...

  1. Some way to simulate NT authentication on Win98 PCs?

    We want to force people to log in before they can do things on our network
    PCs. (We're running mostly Win98SE and WinXP Pro on Win2K Server).

    NT takes care of this, but is there a way to make it happen on Win98
    machines, too? TIA!

    -- Erich

  2. Re: Some way to simulate NT authentication on Win98 PCs?

    "Erich Knobil" wrote in message
    > We want to force people to log in before they can do things on our network
    > PCs. (We're running mostly Win98SE and WinXP Pro on Win2K Server).
    >
    > NT takes care of this, but is there a way to make it happen on Win98
    > machines, too? TIA!
    >
    > -- Erich

    You should really post this question in a Win9x newsgroup. AFAIR,
    there is a setting in the network configuration that gets Win9x PCs
    to log on to an NT domain. Keep in mind that Win9x has no
    security worth mentioning. People can always access local drives
    but unless they supply the correct password, they won't be able
    to access networked resources.

  3. Re: Some way to simulate NT authentication on Win98 PCs?

    Thanks for the pointer. I had assumed that it was an issue other NT Admins
    would have dealt with already.

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote in message

    > "Erich Knobil" wrote in message
    > > We want to force people to log in before they can do things on our

    network
    > > PCs. (We're running mostly Win98SE and WinXP Pro on Win2K Server).
    > >
    > > NT takes care of this, but is there a way to make it happen on Win98
    > > machines, too? TIA!
    > >
    > > -- Erich
    > >

    > You should really post this question in a Win9x newsgroup. AFAIR,
    > there is a setting in the network configuration that gets Win9x PCs
    > to log on to an NT domain. Keep in mind that Win9x has no
    > security worth mentioning. People can always access local drives
    > but unless they supply the correct password, they won't be able
    > to access networked resources.

  4. Re: Some way to simulate NT authentication on Win98 PCs?

    Yes, u can always restrict ur users on win98 client for limited access
    on both side : server and workstation, On NT it is done using system
    policy editor, it comes with CD, but by default it is not onstalled
    with OS

    and In 2000 u can do it using group policy,

    as win98 is not ment for security, so you need some configurastion at
    win98 PC also.

    local user can always access the local drives on 98PC so, the role base
    user restriction should be defined on 98 PC..
    for more info,, u can search on system policy on win98..

+ Reply to Thread