Network professionals.....no such thing. - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Network professionals.....no such thing. - Windows NT ; Scenario: 1 x desktop PC with Belkin NIC going out to Netgear DG834 router for web access etc. PC also fitted with wireless card to network with notebook PC. Via wireless, both PC's clearly visible to each other, file transfer ...

  1. Network professionals.....no such thing.

    Scenario:

    1 x desktop PC with Belkin NIC going out to Netgear DG834 router for web
    access etc. PC also fitted with wireless card to network with notebook PC.
    Via wireless, both PC's clearly visible to each other, file transfer
    perfectly OK & both access web no problem.

    Problem:

    When notebook is not switched on & connected via wireless n/work, desktop PC
    can take around a minute to open programs by double-clicking associated
    files, e.g. anyfile.pdf to open Acrobat/Acrobat Reader. As soon as network
    connection is restored to both machines, all files open immediately.

    I have spoken to a couple of the network techies at work & socially & none
    can provide solution.

    Any advice on how to overcome this please?

    Thx

    Andy

  2. Re: Network professionals.....no such thing.

    On Sun, 23 May 2004 17:32:16 +0000 (UTC), "Buggerlugs" <&e@apvs.co.uk>
    wrote:

    >Scenario:
    >
    >1 x desktop PC with Belkin NIC going out to Netgear DG834 router for web
    >access etc. PC also fitted with wireless card to network with notebook PC.
    >Via wireless, both PC's clearly visible to each other, file transfer
    >perfectly OK & both access web no problem.
    >
    >Problem:
    >
    >When notebook is not switched on & connected via wireless n/work, desktop PC
    >can take around a minute to open programs by double-clicking associated
    >files, e.g. anyfile.pdf to open Acrobat/Acrobat Reader. As soon as network
    >connection is restored to both machines, all files open immediately.
    >
    >I have spoken to a couple of the network techies at work & socially & none
    >can provide solution.
    >
    >Any advice on how to overcome this please?

    Post to relevant newsgroups. If you pick the wrong one, someone will
    tell you which is more correct. For example, you picked both the NT
    and W2K group, and I doubt you run both operating systems.

    Second, disable the wireless NIC on the desktop when not in use.
    Better, use a wireless cable router and drop the second NIC. You
    might be able to just change the binding order depending on OS, but
    disabling the unused NIC is the more likely to work.

    Jeff

  3. Re: Network professionals.....no such thing.

    For some reason the PC is looking for some info from the laptop. Are any
    shares reconnected on boot? Check the PCs registry for any reference to the
    laptop's network name.

    "Buggerlugs" <&e@apvs.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Scenario:
    >
    > 1 x desktop PC with Belkin NIC going out to Netgear DG834 router for web
    > access etc. PC also fitted with wireless card to network with notebook

    PC.
    > Via wireless, both PC's clearly visible to each other, file transfer
    > perfectly OK & both access web no problem.
    >
    > Problem:
    >
    > When notebook is not switched on & connected via wireless n/work, desktop

    PC
    > can take around a minute to open programs by double-clicking associated
    > files, e.g. anyfile.pdf to open Acrobat/Acrobat Reader. As soon as

    network
    > connection is restored to both machines, all files open immediately.
    >
    > I have spoken to a couple of the network techies at work & socially & none
    > can provide solution.
    >
    > Any advice on how to overcome this please?
    >
    > Thx
    >
    > Andy

  4. Re: Network professionals.....no such thing.

    "Buggerlugs" <&e@apvs.co.uk> wrote in message news:...
    > Scenario:
    >
    > 1 x desktop PC with Belkin NIC going out to Netgear DG834 router for web
    > access etc. PC also fitted with wireless card to network with notebook PC.
    > Via wireless, both PC's clearly visible to each other, file transfer
    > perfectly OK & both access web no problem.
    >
    > Problem:
    >
    > When notebook is not switched on & connected via wireless n/work, desktop PC
    > can take around a minute to open programs by double-clicking associated
    > files, e.g. anyfile.pdf to open Acrobat/Acrobat Reader. As soon as network
    > connection is restored to both machines, all files open immediately.
    >
    > I have spoken to a couple of the network techies at work & socially & none
    > can provide solution.
    >
    > Any advice on how to overcome this please?
    >
    > Thx
    >
    > Andy

    Its proberly because you have the network setup incorrectly with
    referance to domain controlers and possibly LMhosts.
    As to overcomingthe problem, RTFM or pay someone, also if your post
    contained more technical info with ref to your config, and you didnt
    show such a disreguard for others who had tried to help you for free
    then you may get more assistance.

    Ian
    www.cyber-cottage.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread