General question about LAN versu remote connection? - Windows NT

This is a discussion on General question about LAN versu remote connection? - Windows NT ; hi, I have a general question regarding remote connection and LAN connection, which once anwsered will enable me to deal with some speed problems with respect to accessing SQL databasr remotely through VB application. Here is the question: Is it ...

  1. General question about LAN versu remote connection?

    hi,

    I have a general question regarding remote connection and LAN
    connection, which once anwsered will enable me to deal with some speed
    problems with respect to accessing SQL databasr remotely through VB
    application. Here is the question:

    Is it true that if the LAN connection's speed is not dependent on the
    connection provided by the ISP. In other words, is there a
    relationship between the LAN speed and the connection speed of a
    computer to and from the outside world ( remote connection)?

    I recently started testing a VB application using a remote connection
    rather than a LAN connection and the performance ( speed and
    responsiveness of SQL server data fetching) degraded substantially.
    I'm debating as to what should I attribute the performance drop -- to
    changing network environment or to lack of optimization of SQL and VB
    code?

    any help will be much appreciated

  2. Re: General question about LAN versu remote connection?

    Avi wrote:
    > hi,
    >
    > I have a general question regarding remote connection and LAN
    > connection, which once anwsered will enable me to deal with some speed
    > problems with respect to accessing SQL databasr remotely through VB
    > application. Here is the question:
    >
    > Is it true that if the LAN connection's speed is not dependent on the
    > connection provided by the ISP. In other words, is there a
    > relationship between the LAN speed and the connection speed of a
    > computer to and from the outside world ( remote connection)?
    >
    > I recently started testing a VB application using a remote connection
    > rather than a LAN connection and the performance ( speed and
    > responsiveness of SQL server data fetching) degraded substantially.
    > I'm debating as to what should I attribute the performance drop -- to
    > changing network environment or to lack of optimization of SQL and VB
    > code?
    >
    > any help will be much appreciated

    LAN speed is not dependent on the connection provided by the ISP - by
    definition, the LAN is it's own network, and processing packets is handled
    independently of the ISP.

    --

    Frank GoBell

  3. Re: General question about LAN versu remote connection?

    Thank you Frank -- I appreciate your response. you have clarified to
    me something very important about my current project. Now I realize
    why sql performance is more than 10 times faster in LAN over remote
    connection.

    Avi

+ Reply to Thread