Problems setting up VPN using Windows NT 4 in a router environment - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Problems setting up VPN using Windows NT 4 in a router environment - Windows NT ; Hello, I'm having trouble configuring my network in such a way, that it would allow me to connect to client machines within my network after connecting a remote computer VPN. This is my setup: 1. A linksys router connects to ...

  1. Problems setting up VPN using Windows NT 4 in a router environment

    Hello,

    I'm having trouble configuring my network in such a way, that it would allow
    me to connect to client machines within my network after connecting a remote
    computer VPN.

    This is my setup:

    1. A linksys router connects to the internet as well as to all of my client
    machines. The router acts as a DHCP server and assigns IP adresses of subnet
    255.255.255.0 starting at 192.168.1.100

    2. There is a Windows NT Server,called fifi, in my network that allows
    incoming VPN connections. The server has a static private IP address of
    192.168.1.150 and is configured as the DMZ host.

    3. I can ping and connect to the server with the client machines and vice
    versa.

    4. The Windows NT server also allows incoming PPTP VPN connections. The VPN
    server assigns IP addresses to remote clients in the range 192.168.1.21 to
    192.168.1.25. To connected remote clients, the VPN server has the address
    192.168.1.20

    Now, when I connect a remote client via VPN, the connection is established
    without any problems and the client gets assigned the IP address of
    192.168.1.21 (e.g.). However, while working from the connected client, I am
    not able to ping ANYTHING but the client's own IP adress. It doesn't even
    find 'fifi' when I try to ping it. Even if I try to ping the IP address
    192.168.1.20 or 192.168.1.1 directly, I get no response.

    Does anybody know if and how I have to set up special routes for this to
    work correctly?

    Any help is very much appreciated.

    Kind Regards,

    Rudy.

  2. Re: Problems setting up VPN using Windows NT 4 in a router environment

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 01:35:53 GMT, "Rudy" put a whole
    new spin on the saw "White space is goodness" when he wrote:
    [blank lines reduced]
    >Hello,
    >
    >I'm having trouble configuring my network in such a way, that it would allow
    >me to connect to client machines within my network after connecting a remote
    >computer VPN.
    >
    >This is my setup:
    >
    >1. A linksys router connects to the internet as well as to all of my client
    >machines. The router acts as a DHCP server and assigns IP adresses of subnet
    >255.255.255.0 starting at 192.168.1.100
    >
    >2. There is a Windows NT Server,called fifi, in my network that allows
    >incoming VPN connections. The server has a static private IP address of
    >192.168.1.150 and is configured as the DMZ host.

    This system does *not* have to exist in the DMZ to support VPN as host,
    fwiw...

    >3. I can ping and connect to the server with the client machines and vice
    >versa.

    Noted.

    >4. The Windows NT server also allows incoming PPTP VPN connections. The VPN
    >server assigns IP addresses to remote clients in the range 192.168.1.21 to
    >192.168.1.25. To connected remote clients, the VPN server has the address
    >192.168.1.20

    So far so still so good.

    >Now, when I connect a remote client via VPN, the connection is established
    >without any problems and the client gets assigned the IP address of
    >192.168.1.21 (e.g.). However, while working from the connected client, I am
    >not able to ping ANYTHING but the client's own IP adress. It doesn't even
    >find 'fifi' when I try to ping it. Even if I try to ping the IP address
    >192.168.1.20 or 192.168.1.1 directly, I get no response.
    >
    >Does anybody know if and how I have to set up special routes for this to
    >work correctly?

    Certainly: configure the VPN connection schema at the remote client to use the
    VPN host as its default gateway. That ought to do it...

    /daytripper

+ Reply to Thread