NT 4 SP6a Routing... - Windows NT

This is a discussion on NT 4 SP6a Routing... - Windows NT ; This is a long one so bear with me.... I have 2 NICs in my server. My external NIC is 217.34.207.13, and is connected directly to an ADSL router with a fixed IP address of 217.34.207.14. My Default route (0.0.0.0)is ...

  1. NT 4 SP6a Routing...

    This is a long one so bear with me....

    I have 2 NICs in my server.

    My external NIC is 217.34.207.13, and is connected directly to an ADSL
    router with a fixed IP address of 217.34.207.14.

    My Default route (0.0.0.0)is set to use the above nic/gateway. This
    works great for sending emails to internet addresses from Exchange
    which is installed on this server.

    I also have an internal NIC - 192.168.2.190, which has no default
    route. This NIC, and all other PCs in this office are connected to a
    Netgear FVS318 router with an IP address of 192.168.2.181 so they can
    all see each other.

    Routing between the 2 nics on the server is NOT enabled. The Netgear
    router does all routing to/from PCs on the local network and the
    internet.

    To cut a long story short - I need to be able to let laptop users
    connect to the FVS318 router over the internet using VPN software to
    access our exchange server as if they were on the local area network.
    Which I have done and this works to an extent....

    If the laptop user is provided with a fixed IP address by their ISP
    every time they dial in, I have no problems. All I need to do is
    create a new persistent route on my NT server which specifies the
    netgear router (192.168.2.181) as the gateway for that specific IP
    address, and then the server is able to reply to requests from the
    laptop.

    So far, so good.

    BUT..... and this is the big BUT-

    The problem is that the laptops could be assigned ANY IP address when
    they connect to the internet, so in effect, I need to have *2* default
    routes. Is it at all possible to set up a second default route which
    can be tried if the first one fails after a short time? From what I
    have read so far, this does not seem possible?

  2. Re: NT 4 SP6a Routing...

    I have also tried enabling RIP on the router, and RIP on the NT server
    - but to no avail. (Looks like the routing table on the FVS318 does
    not change at all when someone makes a connection to it through their
    laptop over the internet - which seems a bit daft to me).

    jordanmcclements@totalise.co.uk (Jordan) wrote in message news:...
    > This is a long one so bear with me....
    >
    > I have 2 NICs in my server.
    >
    > My external NIC is 217.34.207.13, and is connected directly to an ADSL
    > router with a fixed IP address of 217.34.207.14.
    >
    > My Default route (0.0.0.0)is set to use the above nic/gateway. This
    > works great for sending emails to internet addresses from Exchange
    > which is installed on this server.
    >
    > I also have an internal NIC - 192.168.2.190, which has no default
    > route. This NIC, and all other PCs in this office are connected to a
    > Netgear FVS318 router with an IP address of 192.168.2.181 so they can
    > all see each other.
    >
    > Routing between the 2 nics on the server is NOT enabled. The Netgear
    > router does all routing to/from PCs on the local network and the
    > internet.
    >
    > To cut a long story short - I need to be able to let laptop users
    > connect to the FVS318 router over the internet using VPN software to
    > access our exchange server as if they were on the local area network.
    > Which I have done and this works to an extent....
    >
    > If the laptop user is provided with a fixed IP address by their ISP
    > every time they dial in, I have no problems. All I need to do is
    > create a new persistent route on my NT server which specifies the
    > netgear router (192.168.2.181) as the gateway for that specific IP
    > address, and then the server is able to reply to requests from the
    > laptop.
    >
    > So far, so good.
    >
    > BUT..... and this is the big BUT-
    >
    > The problem is that the laptops could be assigned ANY IP address when
    > they connect to the internet, so in effect, I need to have *2* default
    > routes. Is it at all possible to set up a second default route which
    > can be tried if the first one fails after a short time? From what I
    > have read so far, this does not seem possible?

+ Reply to Thread