FTP setup on Windows 2000 Advance Server - Windows NT

This is a discussion on FTP setup on Windows 2000 Advance Server - Windows NT ; Hello everyone, I have been asked to help a private school setup some network services. One of the things they asked was to set up a FTP server for personal use only. I have two questions before setting it up. ...

  1. FTP setup on Windows 2000 Advance Server

    Hello everyone,

    I have been asked to help a private school setup some network
    services. One of the things they asked was to set up a FTP server for
    personal use only. I have two questions before setting it up.

    1. Where do you recommend the root folder being located? Does residing
    inside the Inetpub folder make any diffrence? Or can it be located
    somewhere else?

    2. Is there a way when a teacher logons she is automatically logged
    into her personal home directory? And not be able to see the other
    teachers folder?

    The reason why I ask is because I set up a basic ftp server and the
    only thing was to download files from one big folder, but this isnt
    the way they want it to go they want each teacher to be logged in
    there own home directory.

    Thank you for any advice.

  2. Re: FTP setup on Windows 2000 Advance Server

    Bobby wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I have been asked to help a private school setup some network
    > services. One of the things they asked was to set up a FTP server for
    > personal use only. I have two questions before setting it up.
    >
    > 1. Where do you recommend the root folder being located? Does residing
    > inside the Inetpub folder make any diffrence? Or can it be located
    > somewhere else?
    >
    > 2. Is there a way when a teacher logons she is automatically logged
    > into her personal home directory? And not be able to see the other
    > teachers folder?
    >
    > The reason why I ask is because I set up a basic ftp server and the
    > only thing was to download files from one big folder, but this isnt
    > the way they want it to go they want each teacher to be logged in
    > there own home directory.
    >
    > Thank you for any advice.

    I would recommend a different folder - and if possible, one that isn't on
    the same drive as the installation files for the FTP service. There are any
    number of exploits and probes that target the default installation
    locations.

    As for the second question, you might want to give a look at
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];239120.

    --

    Frank GoBell

+ Reply to Thread