A W2k system stop receiving data - Windows NT

This is a discussion on A W2k system stop receiving data - Windows NT ; Hi, I have a very strange case: Every two days a w2k system stops communicating with other systems (other systems cannot ping it), but, unbelivable, if i operate on the system itself, I still ping other systems. I have changed ...

  1. A W2k system stop receiving data

    Hi,
    I have a very strange case: Every two days a w2k system stops
    communicating with other systems (other systems cannot ping it), but,
    unbelivable, if i operate on the system itself, I still ping other
    systems. I have changed system, network board, switch.
    Have you never seen that ?
    It is like the receiving layer originated from outside was stopped !
    Thank you in advance (sorry for my crazy english)
    Francesco

  2. Re: A W2k system stop receiving data

    In article , ecpirosis wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have a very strange case: Every two days a w2k system stops
    > communicating with other systems (other systems cannot ping it), but,
    > unbelivable, if i operate on the system itself, I still ping other
    > systems. I have changed system, network board, switch.
    > Have you never seen that ?
    > It is like the receiving layer originated from outside was stopped !
    > Thank you in advance (sorry for my crazy english)
    > Francesco

    What does "cannot ping it" mean? Do you get "destination unreachable"
    or ...?

    You might try running a network snooping tool such as ethereal to find
    out precisely what the dialog is between the machines involved - what
    packets are being sent. The snooping may help you figure out what the
    problem machine is doing with the ICMP (ping) packets.
    --
    Jim Cochrane; jtc@dimensional.com
    [When responding by email, include the term non-spam in the subject line to

  3. Re: A W2k system stop receiving data

    Hi Jim,
    Request timed out only but if i perform the ping executing ping on the
    working system it works !
    It is really strange.
    Thanks a lot
    Francesco

    Jim Cochrane wrote in message news:...
    > In article , ecpirosis wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > I have a very strange case: Every two days a w2k system stops
    > > communicating with other systems (other systems cannot ping it), but,
    > > unbelivable, if i operate on the system itself, I still ping other
    > > systems. I have changed system, network board, switch.
    > > Have you never seen that ?
    > > It is like the receiving layer originated from outside was stopped !
    > > Thank you in advance (sorry for my crazy english)
    > > Francesco

    > What does "cannot ping it" mean? Do you get "destination unreachable"
    > or ...?
    >
    > You might try running a network snooping tool such as ethereal to find
    > out precisely what the dialog is between the machines involved - what
    > packets are being sent. The snooping may help you figure out what the
    > problem machine is doing with the ICMP (ping) packets.

+ Reply to Thread