Ok, need some help - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Ok, need some help - Windows NT ; I'll try to explain this the best I can and hopefuly I can get some answers. This is being done in a lab enviroment. My "teacher" is not qualified to answer my questions and should not be teaching the course. ...

  1. Ok, need some help

    I'll try to explain this the best I can and hopefuly I can get some
    answers.

    This is being done in a lab enviroment. My "teacher" is not qualified
    to answer my questions and should not be teaching the course.

    I am have a win2k server/client set up. The win2k server is going to
    preform as a DHCP server. Server has 2 NICs, NIC 1 is bound to the
    DHCP server and configured (properly?). Clients recive IP address
    from the DHCP server. Server has a NIC 2 that is connected to the
    LABs LAN. Server does have internet connectivity. My client, that
    recives its IP from the server, can not ping NIC 2. Client,
    obviousally, has no internet connectivity.

    I have changed the Gateway settings on the DHCP server to the IP of
    NIC1, NIC2. Client still cannot ping NIC2. I have also left the
    gateway (router settings)blank and have tried the IP address of both
    NIC1 and NIC2. Client still cannot ping NIC2.

    Servers DNS server is not running.

    How do I get the client to be able to ping NIC2 and have internet
    connectivity?

    FYI, teachers answer is : "the labs firewall is causing the problem"

  2. Re: Ok, need some help

    Do you have internet connection sharing turned on, so that the server box
    routes the traffic eg. NIC1 --> NIC2 --> internet
    You should find that feature atleast from the services.

    "the yeti" wrote in message
    news:d22f77dc.0402181420.27127939@posting.google.c om...
    > I'll try to explain this the best I can and hopefuly I can get some
    > answers.
    >
    > This is being done in a lab enviroment. My "teacher" is not qualified
    > to answer my questions and should not be teaching the course.
    >
    > I am have a win2k server/client set up. The win2k server is going to
    > preform as a DHCP server. Server has 2 NICs, NIC 1 is bound to the
    > DHCP server and configured (properly?). Clients recive IP address
    > from the DHCP server. Server has a NIC 2 that is connected to the
    > LABs LAN. Server does have internet connectivity. My client, that
    > recives its IP from the server, can not ping NIC 2. Client,
    > obviousally, has no internet connectivity.
    >
    > I have changed the Gateway settings on the DHCP server to the IP of
    > NIC1, NIC2. Client still cannot ping NIC2. I have also left the
    > gateway (router settings)blank and have tried the IP address of both
    > NIC1 and NIC2. Client still cannot ping NIC2.
    >
    > Servers DNS server is not running.
    >
    > How do I get the client to be able to ping NIC2 and have internet
    > connectivity?
    >
    > FYI, teachers answer is : "the labs firewall is causing the problem"

  3. Re: Ok, need some help

    > Do you have internet connection sharing turned on, so that the server box
    > routes the traffic eg. NIC1 --> NIC2 --> internet
    > You should find that feature atleast from the services.

    You cant use ICS if you are running a DHCP server. The point of this
    is to make the DHCP server work, and share Internet connectivity with
    the clients. I am playing around in Routing and Remote access now. I
    dont know how to configure it properly. As soon as RARA is enapled,
    my client louses the ability to ping the server. As soon as I disable
    RARA, ping comes back.

  4. Re: Ok, need some help

    This is what I found that could help

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...hnet/prodtechn
    ol/windows2000serv/deploy/depopt/w2kgate.asp

    Thats a quite simple instruction on how to enable NAT and routing in RRAS.

    Hope that solves the situation.

+ Reply to Thread