Transfer administrator profile to new user name? - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Transfer administrator profile to new user name? - Windows NT ; Hi guys I'm adding a Windows 2003 server to our Netware network, and found that all the NT4 and Windows 2000 clients login locally as administrator. I don't want them all logging into the new server like this! I guess ...

  1. Transfer administrator profile to new user name?

    Hi guys

    I'm adding a Windows 2003 server to our Netware network, and found that all
    the NT4 and Windows 2000 clients login locally as administrator. I don't
    want them all logging into the new server like this!

    I guess my only option is to set up new profiles on their machines using
    proper login names and transfer their profile settings, favourites,
    documents, etc. across manually? I can then create matching user profiles on
    the Windows 2003 server and they can login with the new usernames.

    Is this the best way to do it? Is there an easy way to transfer user
    information to a new name? I haven't decided whether to make the new server
    a domain controller or just a workgroup fileserver - does this make any
    difference to this issue?

    Many, many thanks!

    Jason

  2. Re: Transfer administrator profile to new user name?

    Set up the username and log in once as the "new user"

    Then log out and then log back in as the old user and right click on my
    computer, Properties, user profiles, copy the old profile to the new user.

    "Jason" wrote in message
    newswSWb.3509$Y%6.458878@wards.force9.net...
    > Hi guys
    >
    > I'm adding a Windows 2003 server to our Netware network, and found that
    > all
    > the NT4 and Windows 2000 clients login locally as administrator. I don't
    > want them all logging into the new server like this!
    >
    > I guess my only option is to set up new profiles on their machines using
    > proper login names and transfer their profile settings, favourites,
    > documents, etc. across manually? I can then create matching user profiles
    > on
    > the Windows 2003 server and they can login with the new usernames.
    >
    > Is this the best way to do it? Is there an easy way to transfer user
    > information to a new name? I haven't decided whether to make the new
    > server
    > a domain controller or just a workgroup fileserver - does this make any
    > difference to this issue?
    >
    > Many, many thanks!
    >
    > Jason

  3. Re: Transfer administrator profile to new user name?

    Actually, you would probably need a third user in that mix, that is an
    administrator. You cannot copy from/to the current user's profile, as it is
    in use. You will have to log in as a third user that can then copy the
    profile from the old user to the new.

    If you put the machines into a domain, you can use the domain administrator
    account for this - and should probably make the new users as domain users, not
    local, as well. They can still be set as local administrators (if desired) on
    each machine without being domain administrators.

    If you do not use a domain, you will have to create all users twice - once on
    the local machines, and once on the server (and again on any other server that
    you set up). They cannot easily change their password on the server account
    without logging in locally on the server.

    How are the users authenticating to the Netware network? Is this a secondary
    user ID that they use just to connect to a Netware server?
    Are you planning to keep the Netware network as is, or are you anticipating
    changing it? There are other things to consider if you want to integrate
    Netware and Windows networking.

    |"Jason" wrote in message
    |newswSWb.3509$Y%6.458878@wards.force9.net...
    |> Hi guys
    |>
    |> I'm adding a Windows 2003 server to our Netware network, and found that
    |> all
    |> the NT4 and Windows 2000 clients login locally as administrator. I don't
    |> want them all logging into the new server like this!
    |>
    |> I guess my only option is to set up new profiles on their machines using
    |> proper login names and transfer their profile settings, favourites,
    |> documents, etc. across manually? I can then create matching user profiles
    |> on
    |> the Windows 2003 server and they can login with the new usernames.
    |>
    |> Is this the best way to do it? Is there an easy way to transfer user
    |> information to a new name? I haven't decided whether to make the new
    |> server
    |> a domain controller or just a workgroup fileserver - does this make any
    |> difference to this issue?
    |>
    |> Many, many thanks!
    |>
    |> Jason

  4. Re: Transfer administrator profile to new user name?

    Thanks for the advice!

    At the moment, there is just one Netware 4 server, and the users login
    to the NDS tree with NMAS authentication, using their Netware user ID.
    Using the Novell client, they login to Windows as administrator and
    keep the password the same as their Netware password.

    I'm planning to keep the Netware server as the main server, and use
    the Windows 2003 server as an extra resource for 10 users. I probably
    won't need to add any further Windows servers in future, but maybe it
    would be good policy to set up a domain controller now?

    Any pointers on the other things to consider would be much
    appreciated!

    Thanks,
    Jason

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 23:09:31 GMT, nospam.please@ualberta.ca wrote:

    >Actually, you would probably need a third user in that mix, that is an
    >administrator. You cannot copy from/to the current user's profile, as it is
    >in use. You will have to log in as a third user that can then copy the
    >profile from the old user to the new.
    >
    >If you put the machines into a domain, you can use the domain administrator
    >account for this - and should probably make the new users as domain users, not
    >local, as well. They can still be set as local administrators (if desired) on
    >each machine without being domain administrators.
    >
    >If you do not use a domain, you will have to create all users twice - once on
    >the local machines, and once on the server (and again on any other server that
    >you set up). They cannot easily change their password on the server account
    >without logging in locally on the server.
    >
    >How are the users authenticating to the Netware network? Is this a secondary
    >user ID that they use just to connect to a Netware server?
    >Are you planning to keep the Netware network as is, or are you anticipating
    >changing it? There are other things to consider if you want to integrate
    >Netware and Windows networking.
    >

    >In article , "Sander"
    > wrote:
    > |Set up the username and log in once as the "new user"
    > |
    > |Then log out and then log back in as the old user and right click on my
    > |computer, Properties, user profiles, copy the old profile to the new user.
    > |

    > |"Jason" wrote in message
    > |newswSWb.3509$Y%6.458878@wards.force9.net...
    > |> Hi guys
    > |>
    > |> I'm adding a Windows 2003 server to our Netware network, and found that
    > |> all
    > |> the NT4 and Windows 2000 clients login locally as administrator. I don't
    > |> want them all logging into the new server like this!
    > |>
    > |> I guess my only option is to set up new profiles on their machines using
    > |> proper login names and transfer their profile settings, favourites,
    > |> documents, etc. across manually? I can then create matching user profiles
    > |> on
    > |> the Windows 2003 server and they can login with the new usernames.
    > |>
    > |> Is this the best way to do it? Is there an easy way to transfer user
    > |> information to a new name? I haven't decided whether to make the new
    > |> server
    > |> a domain controller or just a workgroup fileserver - does this make any
    > |> difference to this issue?
    > |>
    > |> Many, many thanks!
    > |>
    > |> Jason

  5. Re: Transfer administrator profile to new user name?

    If you are not planning to migrate to a windows based network, I don't see
    any advantage to having both novell directory / security and an active
    directory. In fact, it sounds like trouble. If the windows server is a file
    server / app server, it will do just fine as a standalone.
    One last thought on the profile copy, you may need to make the new user an
    administrator until after the profile copy and the next logon after that, to
    get all of the settings to take. Then you can demote them to user status.

+ Reply to Thread